Compound slide retainer missing

derrabe

Registered
Registered
I have a 9b-17-1 Logan that I aquired last week. The retaining mech for the compound slide screw broke or is missing and I can't seem to find it or a part number or what it is actual called to get a replacement. So it just now unthreads and threads but won't move the slide.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello and welcome to the group!

I am not familiar with the Logan models numbers.
There are a few manuals available here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=2093&tab=3
Have a look, maybe you can find an exploded view and part number.

I believe some parts are still available for Logan machines.
Hopefully a Logan expert will stop by this thread with some real answers soon.
Good Luck!

-brino

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm trying to figure out which part you're missing. Is it the threaded collar that screws into the compound?

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm not a Logan expert, either. But 9b sounds more like a South Bend model number than a Logan. Logan model numbers all seem to be 3 and 4-digit. For example, a Logan Model 400 is one 9" lathe family. Best bet would be to start with a photo of the machine's nameplate. And one of the carriage, cross slide and compound.

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A few pictures sure would help.
-brino

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Here's a PDF of a larger Logan than yours: not the same machine but there's a good chance the compound
is put together the same way. If you remove the compound you can see if the compound rest nut is present:
if the handle turns but nothing happens the nut is probably the culprit.
You can also contact Logan directly by phone: they have the correct parts manuals and operators instructions for your
machine, and can supply parts as well. http://www.lathe.com is the link.
As brino said, you can also post pictures of what you have and we can help you that way.

Attachments

rambin

Registered
Registered
what we really need to know is....is the screw thread turning.. the part under the compound... there should be a removable panel there covering the threaded rod from chips... or when you turn the handle is it just slip;ing on the threaded rod that is suppose to move the compound. there is a sleeve joint on mine that has failed... unbolt the saddle take it off have a good look.

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Are we talking about the cross slide, or the compound? The OP, who seems to have gone AWOL said compound.

Chuck K

Active User
I was thinking compound. From his description it sounds like the screw is backing out of the compound casting instead of pulling it back.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock