Compressed air distribution in your shop?

(3) 25' hunks of air hose and one spooled up 25' hunk.
Pretty clumsy and not tidy at all.

You can get the same thing at Automation Direct for about 1/5 the cost/item, and free 2 day shipping on orders over $49. https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/pneumatic_components

I have been using these products for years and have about 1/2 my shop plumbed with these products.
This is a good way to save some money.
I guess I can go through the options and pick out manifolds, unions, tees and hose.
A kit would be a good way to start but I'm making a simple set-up for a 20 x 20 shop.
Thanks

I also use the 3/4" MaxLine Kit with a 2 stage 5Hp compressor, previously used copper pipe but expensive and awkward to install. PVC ages and shatters, from a safety point of view I would not consider it. The MaxLine is Aluminum with a HDPE cover on both sides, so no issues with corrosion. It also has a higher working pressure than a plastic line system. The other system that I would recommend is FastPipe which is straight pipes sections, seems like they are all made by RapidAir. When I moved I was able to take the MaxLine system down and reuse most of it in my new garage, may need to replace some of the O-Rings. Pipe can be bent or useing 90 degree elbows. I uses a 300 PSI Goodyear flex hose from my compressor to the air filters, I use dual Norgren air filters and do not seem to get any moisture or drainage in my air lines. Compressor has an after cooler which drops out most of the water into the tank and then an automatic dump valve at the drain. If you are doing a high pressure air system, I wouldn't compromise on safety.

PVC pipe is a bad idea for an air system... while it's rated for the pressure, it's brittle so it fatigues if the pressure fluctuates a lot, i.e. if you don't leave the system pressurized so it goes to zero often.
PVC pipe's pressure rating also drops dramatically when it gets warm and the air coming out of a compressor can get quite warm.

Chicago Pneumatic on PVC

That article is proof positive to avoid PVC, imho.

I sure hope my bringing this up does not back fire on me, but here goes-

I built my 24'x28' shop in 1988. The 80 gallon, 5 hp compressor sits outside, under the eaves on the east side of the shop. Pressure is set at 130 psi, ish. A 3' section of 1/2 inch 'all-purpose' hose runs from the tank to the separator/filter on the wall outside the shop. Another 4' piece of hose runs from the filter to the 1/2 PVC stubbed out thru the wall of the shop. 1/2 PVC runs up the inside of the 2x4 wall into the attic, and tees to 4 drops in the shop, run inside the walls. The walls are insulated, with 5/8 plywood siding outside, and 5/8 sheetrock inside. 2 drops on the south wall over the bench, and one each on the east and west walls. The attic is insulated as well.

The drops turn and stub out of the walls at about 4' off the floor. I had to build small brackets to secure the stubs as they exited the wall after my Brother-in-Law (Baby Huey) ripped one off in his haste to finish the tire rotation on his truck. I work in this shop from 10 to 40 hours per week, and the compressor does too. I have a ball valve on the tank, which gets turned off at the end of each day. PVC plumbing therefore, sees the cycle from 0 to 130 PSI each day the shop is busy.

Other than my BIL, I have had ZERO trouble with the PVC, which is Schedule 40 throughout.

I plummed a buddies shop years ago with 1/2 copper with sweat joints, never a single problem. My garage/ shop, and gun room are with 3/8 rubber hoses right off of the compressor for impact guns and such, and 3/8 plastic air brake line going to my machining area and gun room. Unregulated 3/8 air brake line turned out to have perfect flow for die grinders and cutoff wheels, as well as tool changers and blow guns.

Like I said... first time I went to work in that shop I was dumbfounded. I thought pvc would’ve failed immediately. But after working there a few years I realized it really wasn’t that bad. Especially if you don’t own the building.
But... it did pop in small areas occasionally during summer months. Maybe once or twice in a 12 month period. Like I said.... if it was me I’d use schedule 80. Maximum pressure scheduled 80 1/2” pvc has max pressure rating of 850 psi. !!! Very big difference than schedule 40 @ 200psi
Pvc is so damned easy to run.And... I doubt it would fail in my lifetime.

One downside to PVC. It will get brittle and fail. We are always telling people not to use it for rocket motors because when it goes it tends to make small sharp pieces that go into people nicely. And are not visible on xrays etc..

I also have the 3/4 rapid air kit and am very satisfied with it, 2 years sense install and 0 leaks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back