Compressed air distribution in your shop?

eBay (Summit Racing) has the Maxline 3/4" kit for $159.99 w/ free shipping. You can also get it for the same price direct from Summitracing.com

I used 3/4" black iron schedule 40.

The problem I see with using any type of metal piping is rust, it’s harder to install and price. Most people don’t have a threader to buy long lengths and make all your specific lengths then all the couplers and fittings. Other than that it’s some strong stuff.

I ran two drops in my wood shop with 1/2" PEX. Its just the red 1/2" Vangard for water. Its buried so not exposed to sunlight and if it ever goes I can just run a new line on the surface. (I like L copper) Ran the "L" copper in the mechanical shop using valves I had on hand. Nice to have a shutoff and bleeder at each one and my air is pretty dry.
IMG_1311.jpg

For those that want a true compressed air system, look at Prevost. They have any and every fitting that you could want and many safety QC couplers and many manifold designs. I installed this in my shop and am really happy. All of the fittings are torqued with torque wrench and can be undone and then retightened. This is truly a well thought out system.

I have been wondering if Pex would be a good choice for an air system.

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT EVER USE PVC FOR AIR LINES! Very dangerous. I used to work at a startup company that the owner plumbed with PVC air lines. We were always fixing broken lines, owner thought it was funny when a pipe let go with a shotgun blast. We were constantly asking for new air lines but were told the company couldn't afford the cost of shut down and replacement. One day a guy was working at his desk in an upstairs office when he dropped his pencil and bent over to pick it up. Just then a shutoff valve blow off of an air line right outside his window, through his window and embedded it self in the wall across the room! If he hadn't dropped his pencil, it would have hit him in the head probably killing him.

I, along with the other managers (one of which was the guy that almost got killed), immediately shut down the entire plant. We then went into the owners office and refused to run the place until all PVC was removed and replaced with proper iron pipe. The owner no longer thought it was funny and we got our new air lines!

PVC of any schedule doesn't age well in a shop environment, oil fumes and vibration make it get brittle and BANG.

I will get off of my soap box now, that was just a very scary day in my 50 years of working in shops.

PS: I did work in a small shop with PVC air lines after that, when I told the owner the story, he changed out the PVC for copper.

Richard
I almost lost a finger when some pvc exploded . It let go at around 110 psi.
If you read the side of the pvc , it states not for compressed gas use.
Just my 2¢ worth.

Back