Compressed Air Hose Clamps

oskar

Registered
Registered
I had to cut the 25 feet long hose in my old portable air compressor because I have no need any more for such a long hose.

Now I have a 5 feet long hose from my compressor and at the end I use the fitting I need which I secure it with this screw clamps we use for water hoses, I think they are called Breeze clamps (you tightened the screw to close the clamp).

I know this clamp is not as per codes but have you used it for similar purposes and does it hold? The pressure in my compressor is about 110PSI

I would not do that. Compressed air is not something to fool around with, and a hose clamp like that is not designed to resist the kinds of pressures involved. There is a very good reason you do not see it done.

-frank

Hose clamps will work fine on 1/4" air hoses at 120 PSI. The problem is with the sharp edges catching your fingers. Oetiker ear clamps fix that problem and cost less.

Perhaps this? Saw it posted here somewhere a short while ago. NOt sure for 110PSI. Use Caution.
When a hose cuts loose bedlam follows.

Yep, problem with compressed air is it takes awhile for the energy to disapate. Any incompressible fluid dumps the energy fast (hydraulics). So if the connection blows, the end whips around and can be a wild ride before you can get it under control, depending on where it happens. I agree with pantiac428, not bad for 1/4" line, bigger than that a better solution is required.

Huh, this surprises me. I've never seen anyone rig an air hose like that, but I guess from the looks of it it's not uncommon. Still won't do it myself, but I guess not as unheard of as I thought.

-f

I made a Clamptite tool and there is no way I would trust it to make air compressor clamps. I don't feel the clamp it makes is tight or secure enough to be safe on an air hose. Personally, if I need a short hose then I buy a short hose with the clamps and fittings already done.

I have been using these on my air hoses for years, with a proper barbed fitting they seem to work fine. My shop air runs 150 PSI. But as others have said, the sharp edges can cut fingers, so I just wrap some electrical tape around them.

1543889180520.png

Wire clamps are legit. I've done many lacing wire clamp jobs on everything from my Bradleys in Iraq to my track car. Good USA stainless hard wire is needed, of course. And the application matters (I'd hope that's obvious).

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Back