Compressed Air Hose Clamps

Those hose clamps that use wire have been used for a lifetime (of senior citizens), they work! They used to use regular baling wire for the purpose.
Another good clamp is Punch Lock, cinch it up, and one good whack with the punch lock tool, cut off the tail, and its good to go. They are made in many sizes, with one simple cinching tool. Where I used to work at Kaiser Steel, they were used on all the compressed air hoses, nearly all the power tools used there were pneumatic, and no problems that I ever heard or saw.

....... Personally, if I need a short hose then I buy a short hose with the clamps and fittings already done.

That’s my choice Mike but in my area is impossible to fine one or get someone to make one for me. The next best thing would be to get the reusable fittings on the link I posted above. When is done it looks like factory made. You order one based on the OD/ID of your hose (mine is 11/16”/3/8”). You screw CCW one part on the hose exterior and then you screw CW the other part inside the hose interior. A guy on YouTube did it, very neat

I made a Clamptite tool as well. You can use different sizes of wire and up to six strands around the hose. Their own website mentions that someone even used coat hanger wire in an emergency. I recently repaired a wooden drum which had a big split with some 16 ga wire. I'd use it to clamp an air hose with no hesitation.

I've used those clamps they use on welding hose. But I given the choice, I use Push-on hose and fittings. Both are special to Push-on hose. I think Goodyear makes the hose. And yes, I've used hose clamps and black tape, but use two. The thinner hose clamps deal with the smaller diameter better, I think. The size that uses 1/4" nutdrivers. The oil in the compressed air will degrade the hose then the hose slides off, blowing dust everywhere.

Last edited:
What causes most of the issues we hear of, are mismatched fittings. A 3/8" hose hose clamped to a 5/16" barbed fitting. Using a hose clamp for a 3/4" OD hose, on a 1/2" OD hose, Clamping a hose to a threaded fitting, and so on. The screw type clamps (higher quality then standard heater hose clamps (Hopefully)), are approved for use in auto air conditioning, where pressures go to several hundred PSI.

Maybe a good educational thread, would be to have a good discussion on how to properly select, and use the various fittings. I wish I had a dollar for every brass compression fitting that was wrapped with Teflon tape, or plumbers dope.

My industrial experience with air hose fittings is that fails involve the typical plastic hose with a white liner and yellow jacket over braided cords....The plastic gradually flows under the clamping force,and the hose pops off the fitting...Which is why the painters always used the small stainless type screw hose clamps.....they could tighten the screw periodically if the fitting was coming loose....I used to make up hoses with the crimp type ring fittings,but they were generally replaced with the screw type by the painters.......after all,they were the users,not me.....I was the maintenance man,too old to do useful work!.....according to a 15 year old.

Air tools are designed to run with standard mill air. Standard mill air is 90psi. That is the industrial standard. Pneumatics is something I've done a lot of.

I've been using screw clamps for well over 40 years. And never had one blow off yet. Just be sure you have the correct size fitting for the hose and you'll be fine. A good quality rubber hose is what should be used. Forget the cheap PVC hose, pure garbage and kinks constantly. Crimp type or otiker clamps are great in preventing sharp edges, again use the proper size clamp for the hose diameter

Finally I found locally the reusable fittings I need and here are some pictures.

A lot of people here mentioned a variety of methods to clamp hoses but no one mentioned about these reusable fittings. Is it because they are not good?

Reusable Fitting1.JPG

Reusable Fitting2.JPG

Reusable Fitting3.JPG

Reusable Fitting4.JPG

Mill air at 90 psi .........our plant used 125-135,pressure would go up after shift change,and hiss the 150psi safety valves....Every now and then ,someone would would burst a tire on a bike or car using the airlines ,or worse ,fill the tire full of water from an unused line.Sometimes a 1" line would blow water for 5 minutes.....One kid told me how bad his car was driving,all four wheels were over 100psi,and sloshing with water.

Back