Compressor blows in garage

Lo-Fi

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Cripes:

Follow up here:

We had a lengthy discussion on here recently about the dangers of air compressors. I can't for the life of me find the thread though.

That scares the $hit out of me! My next shop will have a metal cage for my compressor. Like a propane tank cage; just to contain any schrapnel.
Robert

Looks like the fracture may have started along the bottom center line of the tank, inline with the drain valve. Internal water corrosion, maybe? Would be interesting to closely examine the edges of the fracture.

Wowsers, I am glad I religiously drain accumulated moisture from my tank every time I start it.
Looks like a tap test is in order as I haven't done that for a year or 6 or 7 or more ............. :rolleyes:

I have had a 10 gallon portable air tank that I fill from my compressor that was used at the race track etc. I have had it for about 40 years, and recently started thinking about it's integrity while filling it to 125 psi. 3 days ago I bought a new one for a 100 bucks, if in doubt throw it out, I don't have a bore scope to check inside so it's history....

Good thing my compressor is an oily mess. Probably gives me some corrosion protection...
I just looked at my 60 gallon tank today... made in 1984. Hmmm... I've had this compressor in and out of storage for the last 20 years, and the auto drain valve crapped out shortly after moving to the wet PNW. I do have a bore scope, but I am not sure what I'll see from a simple visual. I won't be able to see stress or fatigue. I would hope that rust is obvious, but under layers of sludge? I guess there's only one way to find out. I am seriously thinking about scrapping my compressor.

I think the thread you are thinking about 7milesup was same size compressor that the guy had for like 20yrs and never drained it! I remember that thread vividly.

Mine is a old Devilbiss w/a IR two stage pump with intercooler. Must work good because I get very little water, mostly oil when I drain it. I know it’s probably better safety wise to have it in its own enclosure but I don’t like the outta sight, outta mind. I also don’t like those little compressors because they are cheaply made. That tank looked really thin to me, like 1/16”. Mine has to be 3/16 or even 1/4” thick. It’s 30gal tank but weighs a ton. It’s small industrial rig. I’ll admit I’m conflicted because mine is old, but I don’t see anything I could afford that’s made like this old compressor anymore.

I think about this every time I have to re-inflate all the tires in the driveway . I'm running an old tank and surely don't trust it . When it's on , I stay far away from it .

Back