Compressor exploded

Air storage tanks hold well more than enough air to be mortally dangerous.
I probably did not state it well. The tanks were full of water and then air pressure was applied. The only air was the air in the supply line to the tank under pressure. So the volume of air was what was between the regulator and the tank. I think in this case about a foot. Critical of course that the tank be 100% full of non-compressible (water) the tiny amount of air just provided the pressure

I probably did not state it well. The tanks were full of water and then air pressure was applied. The only air was the air in the supply line to the tank under pressure. So the volume of air was what was between the regulator and the tank. I think in this case about a foot. Critical of course that the tank be 100% full of non-compressible (water) the tiny amount of air just provided the pressure
You stated it correctly, Boswell. Heat exchangers have a relatively small volume, and when full of water are not likely very dangerous at all. Tanks that store compressed air have a much larger volume of air and are quite dangerous if not used and cared for with respect for the danger. I was trying to press home that what you posted is quite different than a shop air tank. Of course, anytime you are working with compressed air there is a chance of something failing, and it is smart to respect it and at least wear safety glasses in the area.

I know they test high pressure cylinders in a water bath, but the purpose of that is to measure the level in the bath at unpressurized and pressurized condition, then they calculate the volume displaced by the cylinder, there is a no-go expansion amount at which the cylinder is scrapped. As stated above, it isn't necessary for safety.

I always considered putting some Ospho in my compressor. That should help considerably.

I always considered putting some Ospho in my compressor. That should help considerably.
Ospho would bed cheap and easy. Followed with some enamel it should be good for the long haul.

Edit: Probably should degrease the heck out of it first.

Here is what happened to mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can see the logic of putting a compressor outside. But he doesn't say if he ever drained the tank and I didn't see one. To me that's outta sight, outta mind. I don't leave my old IR plugged in and it's set at 125psi. And I drain it every use. I've never seen rust come out of it. I do think putting some water soluble oil periodically is sound advise as I've had engines that got rust started in the cooling systems and ate the headgaskets away because of it and the only thing that stopped it was water soluble oil.

Back