Compressor Preservation

Canyonman44

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does anyone have info on a Perservative/cleaner that you could spray(?) into your tank after draining all the crud and corruption? It would have to be "clean-out-able" as I don't want to contaminate all the filters and regulators.

Ken

Are you getting rusty water now when draining? How old is the tank & how often do you drain it?

I don't know of anything you could put in your tank. I drain our tank 3 times a day. Just have to get into a habit. First thing in the morning, after lunch and at the end of the day. I installed a refrigerated air dryer a couple years ago, which works great.

Are you getting rusty water? oily water?

I also try and keep fittings in good shape so we don't have leaking air. The more it runs the more water you are going to get. Air filters are important also to keep from getting oil in the air.
Cheers
Martin

Just fixed one like that. Tank out, all fittings removed, bottle of vinigar and some grit to clean out rust, neutralize and rinse well, dry, pour in epoxy paint, swish to coat inside, drain and allow to cure properly. Reassemble.

If I were to do something like this, I'd pressure wash the interior [as much as I could. Tumbling w/gravel has also been done] to break up and flush out any loose material. Then slosh the tank with Ospho to kill the rust. Drain off any excess Ospho and allow to thoroughly dry. Then as GrayTech advised, pour in epoxy paint, slosh, drain, allow to cure properly.

Last edited:
Darkzero, I am shamed to say I've never drained it. I only started to think about it when I came across an article on a guy who swapped out the valve and did as mentioned above. :frown::frown: As soon as the cold let's it's #1 on the list

Ken

Back