Compressor pressure switch

Thanks Will, what's the advantage to gyycerin filled gauges?
From what I first knew (automotive use) oil filled gauges mainly protects the gauge from damage due to vibrations & makes the needle easier to read (keeps it from bouncing around) during extreme vibrations.

Later I learned that glycerin is not the only oil they use, it's just the cheaper & more commonly oil used (got mine at the drug store). Oil filled gauges can also protect from extreme temps & corrosion. I think there may be more benefits, none of which I'll ever need.

I certainly don't need an oil filled gauge for my hobby air compressor but it looks cool, lol. The one I got is 316SS instead of the usual brass. It's an expensive quality name brand gauge. Was brand new that I found for dirt cheap, was about the same price as a non-oil filled gauge so I thought why not.

Fun fact (or not so fun, depending): I have two separate fire sprinkler systems to look after at work. One is twenty-five years old, the second is just coming up on five. The twenty-five year old system still has all original gauges, the new one has already had its first change. Code now requires gauges be replaced after 3 years.

Glycerin or silicone oil are today's top choices. Before that, it was mineral oil. As far as I know, it's only to damp vibrations at the gauge tube, but you're right, it looks neat.

Back