Concept for "keeping the X"

Have to agree with most of the critical comments.
Gravydog has a great solution. In some ways it is better than mine, which actually works well. Here is a picture. I decided to attach it to the column because it still works if I need to rotate the head.

Attachments

• IMG_9387-1.JPG
    IMG_9387-1.JPG
    513.4 KB · Views: 29
That is a cool solution! I guess that is the main reason for most systems attaching to the column - head rotation. I have not ever wanted to rotate the head for any reason personally, but I guess with these systems that option would be there.

That is a cool solution! I guess that is the main reason for most systems attaching to the column - head rotation. I have not ever wanted to rotate the head for any reason personally, but I guess with these systems that option would be there.
while I agree, I also KNOW as soon as I take out that rotation, I'll need it. My main problem is I have so many other projects the idea of making these kinds of solutions when its super easy to just put a DI on it it's hard to justify.

Yep - that is where I am at. Part of me wants to make something just to make something, but another part of me has other things to do....

This what I came up with but the machine isn't home yet;)

Attachments

• 20220420_050159.jpg
    20220420_050159.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220420_050214.jpg
    20220420_050214.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 26
On the ideas that use a guide bar(s) don't you need the bars to be fixed in place at the top of the column? Otherwise the bars will flex..

They are Thomson Linear Rails , hardened 3/4" shafts in matching linear ball guides that are clamped tightly in the base piece of 7075 aluminum. Those rods are unbelievably stiff! I guess I will find out when I get out of the shop here:<)

It is not the stiffness of the rods. It is that they are only supported on one end. The rods are in effect a cantilevered beam. Whether they will move or not all depends on the connection between the rods and the base. Having the rods also connected to the top of the column is more rigid than just being connected to the base.

This what I came up with but the machine isn't home yet;)
I would be super interested to hear how this works out. Are they also supported at the top of the column?

It is not the stiffness of the rods. It is that they are only supported on one end. The rods are in effect a cantilevered beam. Whether they will move or not all depends on the connection between the rods and the base. Having the rods also connected to the top of the column is more rigid than just being connected to the base.
They are Thomson Linear Rails , hardened 3/4" shafts in matching linear ball guides that are clamped tightly in the base piece of 7075 aluminum. Those rods are unbelievably stiff! I guess I will find out when I get out of the shop here:<)
This is a solution I;m really interested in following.
It looks to me like the bottom plate was drilled thru and the rods are clamped into it.
I see Bolts that look like they clamp a saw cut closed.
With both sides I would think the flex would be minimal, and if that bottom plate can be rotated you don't loose any of the head rotation option.

How Thick is the Bottom Plate?
How is this working out?

Back