Concept for "keeping the X"

I would be super interested to hear how this works out. Are they also supported at the top of the column?
Yes, the angle alum. is bolted to the top and the guides are bolted to the angle.

This is a solution I;m really interested in following.
It looks to me like the bottom plate was drilled thru and the rods are clamped into it.
I see Bolts that look like they clamp a saw cut closed.
With both sides I would think the flex would be minimal, and if that bottom plate can be rotated you don't loose any of the head rotation option.

How Thick is the Bottom Plate?
How is this working out?
Thanks and good eye, that is exactly how it went together. The plate is 1" thick and the cap firmly clamps both rods and has the option to loosen the column 2 x 1/2-13 cap screws and rotate all of it to any position. All the bores I did on the Fadal CNC at work so they are all true to each other. I wish I could try it, but is still on a pallet at work till I can get a path cut in my garage:<)

Another way to do it:

First, make sure your mill's column is perfectly plumb and the machine is securely fixed to the floor or bench (this doesn't work well with machines on wheels). Next, securely attach a small laser module to the side of the mill's head, the smaller the laser's dot the better. Aim the beam at a far wall, 10'-20' away works well. Mark a plumb, vertical line on the wall at the dot. Then even time you move the head simply align the laser dot to the line on the wall, any error is magnified, if the machine and vertical line are true, you can easily realign the head to within a couple of thousandths.

One additional factor that could become critical ... the rods have to be **absolutely** vertical! If they are off plumb, they will give you different X positions at the top and bottom.

+1 on attaching the top ends of the rods to the column.

PS - an easy way to be sure they're parallel ( and to prevent binding with the bearing blocks) might be to use matched length spacers between them, top and bottom. Something as dumb-simple as hose clamps could be used to hold them tightly against the spacers during assembly.

Back