Confessions From A Tool Junkie...i had to say no to a tool, and i feel remorse and shame....

I had to read this thread 'cause it described me in the title, "tool junkie" (I wonder if there's a 12 step program for that). I'm presently moving out of my old shop & moving into another one. Though it's a nicer shop, I don't have as much room for all my tools. Since my present job doesn't leave me much time to take in jobs to help pay the rent, The place almost feels like an open wound to my finances. Which leads me to thinkinking, "do I own my stuff or does my stuff own me". I don't know if that has anything to do with what we're talking about, but I do understand your mental troubles Mike.
Thanks for sharing,
Todd K.

funny u said the 12 step thing....
my wife swears she's gonna have an intervention:lmao:
so if i come down my street and i see a lot of friend's and family's cars parked around my house, and it ain't my birthday,
i'm gonna keep on driving...:rofl:

There have been several machine tools sold in my area that I've passed on because I don't have the space or really, the need for them. At this point I'm mostly making bicycle lights, these would be total overkill.

Monarch lathe
South Bend Heavy
A nicer Taiwanese vertical mill

Walt

Well, Mr. Ulma Dr... still can't decide if you need a poke in the ribs or a pat on the back but wish to share this story with you -and maybe you won't feel so bad...

About a year ago before I got my current lathe, I saw a 16" sheldon locally in craigslist. Here's a photo of one just like it. It appeared to be perfect mechanical condition and even had a turret and non-turret tailstock and few other things like a taper attachment. No chucks though. The seller (the second owner) showed me the inside of the gearbox...-clean. He knew the original owner and new the machine was in near-perfect shape when he bought it. It just needed a motor because the original owner kept it. It was a late 70's machine, used for 15 years or so then sat in the second owners shop/garage for another 10 years. He wanted 3000 bucks for it. It was about 4000 lbs and he was wiling to transport it to my garage. I said, let me scratch my head on this and think if there's a way I can power a 10HP motor and also take measurements to see how it fits in my shop. I didn't put money down. 2 days later when I called to say yes, I want it... It was gone. You snooze, you lose... Feast your eyes on this:

0000229239.jpg

i had to pass on a beautiful le blond metal lathe i saw on CL.............., will someone tell me i did the right thing by passing on a great deal, i need reassurance and a little wind under my kilt to brighten me spirits, as it were......

I know how you feel but let me tell you how to deal with the pain. You need to accept that if you pass on a CL deal like your current situation that there is someone else out there that will adopt that machine and give it a loving home. The problem I still have is the tools that show up at the local scrap yard. I just can’t walk away without trying to find them a home before they get loaded out to the furnace guys and melted. Several have followed me home to buy time and then when the right home is found it is like giving up family. No, that’s not right; it feels good to send them to a good home.

You did the right thing but I won't offer any wind under your kilt.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

I certainly understand ..............
My folks passed away and I inherited a bunch of tools and machinery. Had to take the DoAll bandsaw to work so I could still have access to it. Giving my boat out of my garage to my kids (and helping pay for a new building to store it). I've spent my spare time finishing off part of my garage for a second upstairs workshop (and of course more hand tools so I don't have to run between the basement and my new garage shop) No, you're not nuts (maybe I am). I did it only because they were my Dad's tools and I couldn't part with them. Have yet to move the Southbend lathe and drill press home, but looking forward to it. Hope to teach my son in law and grandsons how to use them so they'll keep them in the family when my time comes. The skills some of us have learned need to be passed to the next generation - it aint all done with a computer.

Well, obviously there is hope for you. The simple fact that you were able to walk away this time, demonstrates you have the will power to conquer your addiction, however remember that if you slip up the next time....................well, I guess I don't need to preach to you about the pitfalls of your addiction.

You couldn't find 9 feet?!?!?!?!? That's a measly little 108". Unless you're living in a studio loft apartment I don't see how you couldn't find that much space. How long is the couch and end-table setup in the living room? You get a slipcover to match the curtains so you can hide it when not in use, and to tie it in with the rest of the decor you put a piece of plywood on top of the kennedy toolchest and call it a coffee table.

Got a guest bedroom? A comfortable queen bed is an invitation for the MIL to come and stay for a week. Turn that room into a spare workshop. She can sleep on a cot in the garage - I bet she cuts those visits down to a couple hours max and you end up with room for a couple of lathes.

Got a side buffet in the dining room? Those went out of style a century ago. The possibilities are endless, you just need to look a bit harder.

Now you've got your old-iron karma way out of whack. It will be decades before another tool like that comes along at a decent price.

A little tangent but in the tool junkie vein: my wife and I were walking the dog when one of our neighbours (around the corner) stopped me and asked "are you the guy with all of the tools?" to which I (sheepishly) replied "I suppose so, what would you like to borrow?". His response was "oh no, we have something that you might be interested in"... They ended up GIVING me a 14" bandsaw (woodworking) with 6 different blades - even helped wheel it over to our place. Sometimes a certain "sickness" can come in handy.

Back