Confused with Headstock RPM Settings

Try a single flute fast spiral carbide endmill with a small light machine, a bit of air to clear chips and the occasional drop of WD40 or 17/30 Paraffin/30 weight oil.
Another advantage to the single flute EM is that it's easily sharpened off-hand on a bench grinder.

Good point but I tried 2 flutes and I noticed the cutting was worst (mill made more noise).

Single flute are not easy to find as far as I know. There are some 1/8” but expensive and 1/4” which is the size I prefer have not seen any

Nicolas

Good point but I tried 2 flutes and I noticed the cutting was worst (mill made more noise).

Single flute are not easy to find as far as I know. There are some 1/8” but expensive and 1/4” which is the size I prefer have not seen any

Nicolas

Try eBay, I bought some 5mm single flute cutters from China and they were good.

[QUOTE="....... The commonest newbie mistake is trying to cut everything with the tip of the end mill; this just wears it out sooner........

Mike the above describes exactly me, LOL but I try to improve. Thanks for the handy info which I have to read and digest and hopefully I will have no more related issues afterwards.

Nicolas[/QUOTE]
Why do you think such tools are called "End Mills"?
If you want a tool that will only side mill then buy one for this purpose, this is called a side mill for obvious reasons, there is no good reason to buy a tool that does both if the work does not require it, grinding the end for cutting makes them more expensive.

Finally I got brave and did the cut as per video below and all went fine. RPM is now set to 3500 and eventually as I get more comfortable will go to 5 or 6K RPM. The endmill is 1/4” OD, 4 Flute and the DOC and per pass is 1/16” (just want to take it easy for now).

YouTube says that my video is set to private and I don’t know why because I clicked on public. Pls let me know if there are any problems.

As you watch the video, when the material comes toward you the X axis travels right and when the material moves away from you the X travels to the left. As far as I know when the video starts and the material travels to the left (against the cutter) this is a conventional cutting. Am I correct?

I guess I will never get it right, LOL. I have read so many articles about it and I thought I had right.

But I did notice on the second pass the cut was smoother

Thanks for the heads up

Back