Confusion Of Style Of Taps To Purchase

I got an Ace Hanson tap & die set for my 18th birthday (52 now). I still have all but one of the original dies and have a few of the original NF taps but all of the NC taps have been replaced several times over. As others have said, the dies were/are used manly for chasing threads, some have never been used. I rarely use it anymore as I now prefer to use machine driven taps, which I buy as needed. One thing I do is keep the each size of tap with its respective drill in a ziplock bag, you know, the ones from McMaster.

One gentleman has said that a plug tap is also known as a taper tap. With all due respect they are not the same. You have three types of taps in one set, Bottoming, Intermediate or plug, and taper. This is still the way it is today, nothing has changed.

Taper Tap --- Taper runs 8 to 10 threads.
Plug Tap --- Taper runs 3 to 5 threads.
Bottoming Tap --- Has almost no taper.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
One gentleman has said that a plug tap is also known as a taper tap. With all due respect they are not the same. You have three types of taps in one set, Bottoming, Intermediate or plug, and taper.

Taper Tap --- Taper runs 8 to 10 threads.
Plug Tap --- Taper runs 3 to 5 threads.
Bottoming Tap --- Has almost no taper.

"Billy G"

The taper taps are amazing for starting nice and square, it's almost easier to get it right than wrong :)

Stuart

Thank you guys. Now off to work- no machinery there just a mouse and a computer. Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So bottom taps cant be used to start holes?

Bottoming Taps have a much smaller lead on them (barely any at all) which helps get you to the bottom of the whole (that area that a spiral flute won't remove)

My general rule of thumb is I use Spiral Flute taps for blind holes and Spiral Point on thru hole.

Spiral Flute brings the chips up out of the hole as you tap the part.

Spiral points are only good for thru holes, if you use them on blind holes they will typically chip when you back the tap off inside the hole

I did it! I helped support the German economy. Those little das werkzeugs are all mine... Mine mine mine

A plug tap will do 90% of your tapping jobs. Bottom taps will last much longer if only used to square up the threads at the end of a blind hole. Spiral flute taps pull the chips out of the hole. Spiral point, AKA gun taps, shoot the chips ahead. Not a good choice for a blind hole unless it is super deep.

MSC occasionally has their house brands on sale at 40% off. Hertel and Interstate come to mind. The last time I purchased about $400 worth of taps and dies, all HSS and they are very good quality. The original cost was like $700 before the discount.
If you can wait that is a great way to get what you need. Make an account with them and get on the mailing list.

Got a budget of $200 to purchase Taps. New to lathing and have been told that dies are not used nearly as often so just buy dies as needed.
There are 3 types of taps - bottoming; plug; and taper. Which type are the most commonly used on jobs? Want to do mostly model engine building and improvement construction on lathe. 12x36.
I see they are sold in sets but i assume a set for $30 is some cheep taps being one goes for $23. ( same brand too)

Tell me your favorites guys? Brands and types and catalog companies. Thanks

The three types you mentioned have different amounts of "lead" or number of incomplete threads. The bottoming tap is used to add threads to a blind hole that go almost to the bottom of the hole. The downside is that these require a lot of torque and are not a general purpose tool. The taper tap (sometimes called a hand tap), requires the least amount of pressure to cut, but leaves a lot of incomplete threads in the hole. The plug tap is in between the others in terms of number of incomplete threads. I prefer the "spiral point" style, which moves the cut chips dpwn into the hole. If you are tapping a blind hole, you will need to pick out the chips. This spiral point style excels at through holes. The most common would be a straight flute plug tap. The chips in this one collect in the flutes; you will need to "break the chips" by driving the tap forward (for let's say one turn), then then backing up. You can hear the chips break. This procedure makes for small chips that won't tend to pack into the flutes. These are just the most common and others are out there, but they wouldn't be a general purpose thing. I would recommend that you get USA, European, or Japanese taps and avoid the Chinese ones. This kind of depends on how much work you do. Good luck, I hope I have been of some help.

The three types you mentioned have different amounts of "lead" or number of incomplete threads. The bottoming tap is used to add threads to a blind hole that go almost to the bottom of the hole. The downside is that these require a lot of torque and are not a general purpose tool. The taper tap (sometimes called a hand tap), requires the least amount of pressure to cut, but leaves a lot of incomplete threads in the hole. The plug tap is in between the others in terms of number of incomplete threads. I prefer the "spiral point" style, which moves the cut chips dpwn into the hole. If you are tapping a blind hole, you will need to pick out the chips. This spiral point style excels at through holes. The most common would be a straight flute plug tap. The chips in this one collect in the flutes; you will need to "break the chips" by driving the tap forward (for let's say one turn), then then backing up. You can hear the chips break. This procedure makes for small chips that won't tend to pack into the flutes. These are just the most common and others are out there, but they wouldn't be a general purpose thing. I would recommend that you get USA, European, or Japanese taps and avoid the Chinese ones. This kind of depends on how much work you do. Good luck, I hope I have been of some help.
I got an Ace Hanson tap & die set for my 18th birthday (52 now). I still have all but one of the original dies and have a few of the original NF taps but all of the NC taps have been replaced several times over. As others have said, the dies were/are used manly for chasing threads, some have never been used. I rarely use it anymore as I now prefer to use machine driven taps, which I buy as needed. One thing I do is keep the each size of tap with its respective drill in a ziplock bag, you know, the ones from McMaster.

Back