connecting potmeter

JT.

Active User
Registered
got a 10k potentiometer with 3 connectors

what do i connect where ?(only for the potentiometer)

schema.JPG
schema2.JPG

schema.JPG schema2.JPG

Last edited:
JT,
We will need a little more specific info on exactly what you are trying to do to be of any real positive help. Pots are pretty simple, but wiring them into prexisting systems can be problematic if they are not properly matched and installed. There are several among us who have vast backgrounds in electronics and electrical engineering so if you could show us a diagram of what you have and show us what you want to do we will surely be able to help you accomplish you mission. I appologize for not really answering the question, but there are too many other parameters involved for a super simple answer. I hope this helps and if you need firther help just post up and let us know.
Bob

JT,
A pot images.jpgin this configuration, has the wiper on the center terminal. This would be the lead with the arrow on your diagram. The other two terminals connect depending on how you want the turning of the shaft to effect the control. If it were a volume control for example, usually turning the shaft clockwise would decrease the resistance and increase the volume. If you wanted to reverse that effect you would reverse the connections to the outside terminals. Hope that helps.

Chuck

images.jpg

Center of the POT to the VI terminal
Other two outside contacts to the VR+ and ACM terminals
If the POT works backwards, swap the two outside contact leads

Center of the POT to the VI terminal
Other two outside contacts to the VR+ and ACM terminals
If the POT works backwards, swap the two outside contact leads

ok for the VI and ACM
those i can find
.the upper picture is from the connectors
and there i do not see a VR+

JT,
A pot View attachment 45495in this configuration, has the wiper on the center terminal. This would be the lead with the arrow on your diagram. The other two terminals connect depending on how you want the turning of the shaft to effect the control. If it were a volume control for example, usually turning the shaft clockwise would decrease the resistance and increase the volume. If you wanted to reverse that effect you would reverse the connections to the outside terminals. Hope that helps.

Chuck

Chuck,

Excellent description.

We might want to add that potentiometers have 'tapers' which define the change in resistance in relation to the position of the shaft. They are not always linear ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer ... and along with wattage and other considerations ... is part of the component selection process.

Back