Considering a round-column mill, advice requested.

I've never used one but the biggest drawback I can see is the need to retram the head.

Tramming is setting the machine such that the spindle/column are at 90 degrees to the table surface, round column mills do generally not lose tram when you raise or lower the head.
I believe you are thinking of positional alignment of the spindle centre line which is lost on many round column mills, but not all, exceptions including Rishton and Emco FB-2 models.
Regards,
- Nick

@mikey, I'm interested in this but not clear on what I need from Tormach. FYI, I have a bunch of R8 collets already but I'm hoping to make the tool changes easier. I was thinking about making a power draw bar or switch to an ER (32?) collect chuck so I can make the tool changes down low. Not sure what the advantage of TTS R8 adaptor is over just a plain R8-to-ER32 chuck? Also, if the power draw bar is a better option?

Now that mine is converted to CNC I'm hoping to use it more and looking to make some improvements to it such as:

- Power head lift (although Paul mentioned above that you can make tool changes by simply moving the head, tool changes is usually the reason to lift the head).
- A stop to keep the head from moving (and if I move the head for tool changes as Paul suggested, then I'll need this to be on one side vs. something that doesn't allow the head to move at all.)

The way the TTS system works is that a single Tormach R8 collet, which is just a 3/4" R8 collet with a flattened nose, allows the user to install different kinds of tooling adapters into that one collet. This flattened nose on the collet allows the base of each tooling adapter to contact the spindle nose. The 3/4" shank on each adapter is held by the collet, while the rim of the adapter comes into contact with the spindle nose. What this does is index each adapter for consistency while also increasing rigidity. In use, you simply loosen the drawbar and the tooling adapter slips right out; you don't need to go banging on the drawbar. Swap tooling adapters, tighten the drawbar and cut.

So, the main advantage of the TTS system is speed. Another advantage is improved damping. The ER system alone provides better damping (reduces vibration) than any other tool holding system but the TTS system brings the base of the chuck into contact with the spindle nose. Now you have the entire spindle plus the ER chuck damping vibration and improving rigidity. This might not be apparent but this rigidity thing is important because it applies to anything you put into the Tormach collet - drill chucks, ER chucks, flycutter, end mills, facemills, etc.

I took a hard look at this TTS system before I committed to it. There are more accurate quick change systems to be sure but nothing that is as cost effective for a hobby guy. I use it because it makes sense to me - faster, more damping, more rigidity and low cost. What really sold me is that their cheap ER-32 collet chuck with a Techniks ER collet is very accurate - TIR very close to 0.0001". This is just as accurate as my ETM ER-40 R8 chuck that cost way more. I'm not a CNC guy but if I were, I would buy multiple ER chucks and set up my tools in each one so instead of changing cutters, I would just change chucks.

Hope that answers you. If not, shout out.

Awesome, thanks Mikey. I came to the same conclusion as you after I posted the questions then went on Google/YT research. I placed the order for the R8 TTS adapter and a ER20 collet chuck. Still need to buy collets...and more collet chucks...etc.

Back