Considering a round-column mill, advice requested.

On my old Enco RF30 I also installed a Z axis DRO and I did away with the plastic front cover because of the shapeand just plasma a new cover. The first DRO was a stand alone and the second is with the 3 axis. I was so used to looking at the head to read the Z, I ended up putting the Z readout on the bottom of the belt cover with the X & Y by themselves.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

My used Enco version of the RF30 does not have any DRO yet, but I am also looking at them for it. Gonzo and Techee How did you hook up the one on the quill. Ken
Because the front face was not level, I made a replacement out of aluminum. This was easy and trouble free. As you can see I used the little screw that held the indicator on and used it to connect to the DRO reader. The height indicator shaft fit loosely where it attaches to the frame at the bottom making a sloppy fit. I removed it and made the mounting threaded part longer so the shaft didn't have any end play.

To mount the X axis scale I made two trapezoidal slugs that fit into the table stop groove.

Also included is a photo of the Y axis clamp mod. This I copied from the September issue of Home Sshop M
MVC-001L.JPG
MVC-001L.JPG
MVC-002L.JPG
MVC-003L.JPG
MVC-003L.JPG
MVC-004L.JPG
MVC-007L.JPG
achinest.

MVC-006L.JPG

I have the exact mill you are considering.

I suggest adding DRO's to the X-Y-Z axes. I purchased 3 Igaging battery operated units. Inexpensive, fairly accurate. These resulted is a VERY big step-up in my capabilities.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Re...107663?hash=item21113ca44f:g:ucUAAOSwzJ5XVi4o

Here are the pics of my install. Cast iron is very easy to drill & tap. I made the Z mounts from 6061 T aluminum. I made the attachment links & covers for the X & Y axes from sheet aluminum.

It does require some critical thinking to get these parts sized & mounted correctly.

If you go this route, let me know, I may be able to save you some time & effort!
This looks like just the ticket for my old Jet 16 and a two axis version for my old Jet 10x24. Looks like I will be keeping them for a while.

Scrimshaw, I also have a jet 10x24 mine is the PY,
Gonzo what is the piece just below the front of the belt cover. Almost looks like a flashlight. Like the way you mounted thing and like the Y axis clamp mod

Scrimshaw, I also have a jet 10x24 mine is the PY,
Gonzo what is the piece just below the front of the belt cover. Almost looks like a flashlight. Like the way you mounted thing and like the Y axis clamp mod
It is a laser used to realign the head after re positioning.

I just noticed, You have a power drive on it.

It arrived a few days ago, the driver was apparently in a hurry, before I could get back with the bobcat he'd vanished into the sunset.
mill_driveway.jpg

In the uncrating I found a few damaged parts for which I am awaiting replacements.

Last edited:
Back