Considering An Atlas Lathe In Bedford, In

Thanks so much for all the replies. The seller has indicated to me that I would be able to run the lathe should I wind up going to see it. Another member here has told me he has a 10x54 Atlas for sale with the same tools as listed with this lathe plus a milling attachment and other tooling for a bit more money. I'll be looking into that one as well. More to report in the coming days, I'm sure.

gearhead,

See my reply to your post in the Atlas, Craftsman & AA forum.

FYI, this Craftsman Atlas 12" x 36" lathe showed up on CL today in the Toledo, OH area: $950. Comes with a lantern style tool holder, 3-jaw, 4-jaw, face plate, centers, dogs, etc. Looks to be missing the little knob on the head stock cover for lifting it to access the spindle pulley.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/5950654189.html

Bruce

That looks like a nice one. Thanks, Bruce. It looks like it's been well cared for. Where should the missing knob be? I was looking in the photos for evidence of it being broken off, but I don't know quite what to look for. Sure does look clean. I have found a local guy who may be able to help me look at the lathe in Bedford next weekend if it has not sold by then. Sure hope it is still around when next Saturday rolls around.

I was able to make it to the shop of a friend of my father's yesterday. His machines are CNC, but he was at least able to tell me about the basics and give me a little more info on what to look for. Every bit of info I can get at this point helps.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I'm learning what I need to learn!

IMG_3144.JPG As requested, here is some follow-up on that Atlas lathe in Bedford.

IMG_3176.JPG Man, it's been killing me that it took so long to set it up, but here's a proper pic of the lathe installed in my basement. I still need to bolt it down to the stand and put belts back in place. Then it will need some light cleaning and oiling, but I'm really close to running it! Thanks to all for the advice here!

Congrats! Looking forward to reading (and seeing) your progress. I've got my eye on a Craftsman Commercial--same lathe with Timken bearings and the heaviest ways that Atlas made.

Congrats! Looking forward to reading (and seeing) your progress. I've got my eye on a Craftsman Commercial--same lathe with Timken bearings and the heaviest ways that Atlas made.

Thanks! So the Craftsman Commercial is the same thing? I do know this Atlas has Timken bearings, but do not know about the ways. Those ways, I actually need to get mine cleaned up. They have some of the expected dirt on them, but there is light rusting. Looks like I need some mineral spirits and green Scotch Brite and maybe an India stone to dress any raised areas from some slight rust.

Thanks! So the Craftsman Commercial is the same thing? I do know this Atlas has Timken bearings, but do not know about the ways. Those ways, I actually need to get mine cleaned up. They have some of the expected dirt on them, but there is light rusting. Looks like I need some mineral spirits and green Scotch Brite and maybe an India stone to dress any raised areas from some slight rust.
Can no longer see the CL ad, but I'm pretty sure your Atlas and the Craftsman Commercial are the same with Timken bearings and thicker ways.

Back