Considering CNC Mill... what should I look for?

probably need to be looking at the 49+ sized machines.

That eliminates all Tormach and a lot of the Haas machines. The Haas TM2 has a 40" work envelope but it starts at $30,000. Not sure where you will find that size. Used Bridgeport maybe?...

probably need to be looking at the 49+ sized machines.

That eliminates all Tormach and a lot of the Haas machines. The Haas TM2 has a 40" work envelope but it starts at $30,000. Not sure where you will find that size. Used Bridgeport maybe?...
All of the Haas Vertical mills were designed to support a 4th and even 5th axis, so the units are much more compact. Tormach has the micro arc 4th axis. But all of these options $$$$. If I want a 4th axis, I'm probably going to have to make it my self, using a servo, harmonic drive and chuck. That's what takes up space.
Isn't that always the case? You can have everything you want, have it ready made, have it cheap. Pick 2

I have to pick my battles based on budget. This years primary budget is going to be to getting the shop done. Once the structure is built, Electricity and AC is next. I'm pretty sure I can hit those goals in the next 4-6 months. Until they are hit, there's no point in really shopping for machines etc because I don't have anywhere to put it.

After the shop is up, if I have anything left, then I'd like to get either a lathe, or a mill. I sincerely doubt I will be able to get both. But that's fine. I have more than enough to learn on whichever one I get. Tentative budget will be $10k including initial tooling for one machine. That's all assuming I don't blow the budget out of the water building the shop... in which case I guess it'll be next year some time before I can buy anything. Bonuses usually don't come till June.

My Tormach 1100 has X/Y/Z travels of 18"/9.5"/16.25", table is 34" x 9.5". My Bridgeport has a 9" x 42" table with X travel of 24", think the Y is at least 12". Yes, wish the Tormach had a little more though I haven't done anything to exceed it yet. Guys have replaced the Y axis ball screw and some other work to get the Y axis up to 11".

My Tormach has an 8" 4th axis. I've used it for a couple of jobs, most intricate was cutting some helical gears. It came with the mill; if I was doing it from start I'd go with a 6" super-spacer 4th axis. There are a couple of problems with Tormach's 4th axis. One, the regular 4th has the motor on LH side of the rotary table as viewed from the front. That puts the 4th on the LH side of the table. They recommend NOT using the automatic tool changer as clearance is a problem. The super-spacer version has the motor on the opposite side so it mounts on the RH side of the table; ATC is still usable. Another plus for the super-spacer is the head rotates like a dividing head. To cut the helical gears, I mounted the 4th on a tilt table which took it even higher.

If you go with a BP type mill you'll get really nice travels. The Centroid Acorn board is a nice upgrade for older controllers and gives you a 4th axis port. It also will control a VFD so you have spindle control.

Bruce

Last edited:
Back