Considering Conversion of PM-932M or Grizzly G0761

cjones6108

Registered
Registered
I haven't purchased either of these machines yet, but I'm leaning heavily toward one or the other; maybe a bit more heavily toward the PM. I'm wondering about (for the PM-932M machine), either buying the package with all the bells & whistles (which include power x feed, power down feed and DRO), or buying the base machine with the idea of converting to to CNC pretty promptly.

Anyone have experience converting a machine of this class range, or better still, this actual machine? Would be most interested in any insights.

The PM-932 is a nice machine. I converted mine to CNC about three years ago. I can't comment on the Grizzly as I have no experience with it. If you are going to convert it to CNC I wouldn't spend my money on the power down feed or DRO. These two options will be replaced with your Z axis CNC conversion and the XYZ axis DRO's are part of your motion control software, i.e. Mach3/4. BTW - a X axis power feed is standard on the PM-932. I adapted mine to my RF-31 mill drill.

Here is the link to my conversion http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/taking-the-cnc-plunge.24858/. Look at the PM conversion by jbolt. Lot's of very good information there and he's very helpful in answering questions.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. If you need information or questions answered just post them. You will get lot's of friendly feedback.

Thanks! This helps me a lot. I'll look at these, and I'm glad to have found this forum.

Back