Considering making my own pin gage set

Nice work.
I've never sprung for a set of gauge pins but there have been times I could use them. For standard fractional sizes dowel pins make a viable substitute.

Greg
I never thought of wood! I will use dowel pins until I can save up for a pin gage set.

Is there a high demand for pin sets? I have a full set, in metal cabinets from 0.010" - 1.000". I've only used it once and don't see using it again in the next (rest of my life)

Is there a high demand for pin sets? I have a full set, in metal cabinets from 0.010" - 1.000". I've only used it once and don't see using it again in the next (rest of my life)

That is worth a lot of money! You should sell it.

Wow, you’re sitting on a goldmine:

-0.0002” to +0.0000” by 0.001” increments:

or

Choose -0.0001” to 0.0000” or 0.0000” to 0.0001”, both sets in .001” increments:

Last edited:
Are there 991 pins? Is it import or USA Made?

Gage pins sets are + or -. I will post some links.
I was wrong with the starting #.
They're .060-1.000 in .001 increments. US made. I'm pretty sure they're Vermont Gage.
The cabinets are behind some things so I can't get to them at the moment. I know they're all there plus a couple extras.

20230330_182500.jpg

I was wrong with the starting #.
They're .060-1.000 in .001 increments. US made. I'm pretty sure they're Vermont Gage.
The cabinets are behind some things so I can't get to them at the moment. I know they're all there plus a couple extras.

View attachment 443140

Because of your posts, I spent some time looking on the internet for gage pin sets. Although .011” through .250” are affordable, larger size gage pin sets are very expensive.

Most used sets on eBay are missing several pins. You have a good asset there!

BTW I bought new gage block sets from Shars in both Imperial & Metric, & I developed some concerns over their precision when I measured some. While this may be attributed to operator error, I would personally never buy made in China gage blocks or pins.

For the last 2 years or so, I have only been buying made in Taiwan, made in USA, made in Germany, etc. tooling. While it always cost more, things have generally gone very smoothly after the purchase.

If I didn’t know any better, I would be left to believe that made in China stuff is beater-level, student-level quality. I really do love my beater import dial calipers.

Last edited:
Because of your posts, I spent some time looking on the internet for gage pin sets. Although .011” through .250” are affordable, larger size gage pin sets are very expensive.

Most used sets on eBay are missing several pins. You have a good asset there!
It was an impulse buy and the price was right.
I used one pin, one time, in the last 5 or so years.

Back