[Controversial] Who have you bought machines/tooling from on EBay? How was it?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Warning in advance- this is going to be controversial- but we get newbies on here (like me) looking to buy tooling on Ebay,
and wondering who to trust in terms of sellers on there. Why should we let them find out the hard way?

So here goes....who have you bought tooling and machines from on Ebay, and what was your experience?

Thanks in advance,

Nelson

I have bought alot of things from tools4cheap and am satisfied. Shars has a big selection of import stuff. The best advise is buy the best you can afford at the time. The import stuff will do for most all home machining. The good quality tools are more expensive but last longer and are a good investment. You can find bargains on e-bay,but as they always say"let the buyer beware". Due diligence.

I haven't been burnt buying tools on EBay, but I sure have selling them. EBay is starting to outlive its usefulness to me. Five or ten years ago there were terrific deals on EBay. Now days good deals a getting few and far between. Too many stores, buy it now deals, people with excessive shipping costs, etc.

Randy

For South Bend parts, I've bought from ipenelopepitstop (Ron Cammarata) before and all has gone well.

I also bought from Texan.45 and Xtrucker for parts, with no problems.

A while back, Cammarata agreed to sell me a SB Drill Press if he ended up selling it, then put it on Ebay. When I asked, no answer.
You have to be careful no matter who you buy from.

Best,

Nelson

I never made a major purchase on ebay, but I've gotten some decent deals. Just recently got a 50' hose reel for $70 shipped. This is similar to the one HF sells for $100. Granted, HF often has sales, 20% off coupons, etc. But I got this one, and I didn't even have to leave the house.

I also buy pen kits from ebay, and they beat any on-line deals hands down. Same quality as PSI or Woodcraft, but about 1/4 the price.

Wow, Al Babin, I haven't heard that name in years. I wonder what ever happened to him? I hope it includes iron bars :D

Randy

I am not really surprised as, Al is a cockroach. They survive anything and EBay makes little effort to police its site.

Randy

Most of these guy's are correct, what you don't see is what you get, do some homework, I usually know how much something is and wether or not it's quality or junk before I bid, I've picked up quite a few deals only after doing some homework and if I really want it bad enough then it's Enco or MSN or some reputable store, most of the time I'm looking for period correct parts for restoration of my machines, again do some comparative research and know how much you are willing to spend before you bid or buy and don't go over, there will be plenty more down the road which is where I find the deals and don't forget to look at the shipping cost's, that's where they'll try and hike the price up beyond the value !. Lawrence.

Back