Convert a manual grinder to auto feed?

OK so I guess I will not get a set for my other machines........

Seeing this always worries me, they claim to be USA based but the payment went to 刘莉萍. Translates as Chinese to Liu Liping

Got my PP email......
You sent a payment of $32.25 USD to 刘莉萍

Considering that they were selling these for $512 I am betting the price was a typo. I think there is a very good chance that they will try to back out and not honor the deal... in which case we will get out money back. In any case, if they don't show up I am confident we will get our money back through paypal/ebay.

Sorry to swoop the last two out from under you... they were not going to last long.

From the time I posted that link it only took 38 minutes for all 13 to be sold.

I am not real upset with the last 2 vaporizing before I could get one more. My budget is a bit tight right now (just had a brand new pace maker planted) and and I will need all of the toy budget to get the rest of the parts for this project. the other 2 machines will be real expensive to convert to CNC. Ball screws ain't cheap.

Mine is expected by May 20. So we shall see.
Now if that place with the SG controller will get back to me, AND they are going to make more of those, Then I think I have all the electrics, less small odds and ends like switches, connectors and wire. Then I just have to design and make the mechanics and I will have my AUTO FEED Surface Grinder.

The only thing that I see missing from that controller is an option for dressing the wheel. I guess I will still have to manually lock the table and dress the wheel. I can live with that.
If I get the auto feed working, then I do not have to make the blocks to raise the machine up 3.5 inches. I wont be standing there cranking wheels for hours at a time killing my back. Now just pushing buttons and come back later.

The other BIG advantage to automating the SG is that I am NOT supposed to get close to the mag chuck with my pace maker, This will let me stay a safe distance away.

Last edited:
I just received this message from Longs Motor. I think I'll sit on it for a few days and see what happens.

New message from: longs_motor (2,807Red Star)
Hello Dear
Thanks for your messages very much.
We are so sorry for that the price was a big mistake,can we refund you now?
Regards
Cherry

I got the same message.

Hello Dear
Thanks for your messages very much.
We are so sorry for that the price was a big mistake,can we refund you now?
Regards
Cherry

Oh well, it would have been nice. I thought it sounded too good to be true.

Oh well, back to searching for another deal.

Last edited:
Off your current topic, I have a B&S 2L surface grinder, one of the last ones made in 1946. It has power feeds in both X (table traverse) and Z (in and out cross feed) axes. The spindle is belt drive (126" long belt over 5 pulleys and a counterweight). The power feeds are entirely mechanical, via an incredibly complicated bunch of machinery that still works, driven by a separate flat leather belt.

I found the #2 B&S grinder in the 1904 B&S catalogue
same basic machine, set up for line shaft belt power.
I do not know how much older than 1904 they were making the #2. If you can find the serial number of the machine, I can try to help you with the year of manufacture of your #2. On my 2L the serial number is stamped onto the top of the spindle mounting vertical sliding block, on the right side pad for bolting down the magnetic chuck to the table, and on the right side of the base casting above the access hole. Yours may be different...

There is good information on the #2 on http://vintagemachinery.org/, including several manuals for different vintages of the #2 grinder.

Hope this helps...

Question: What is the vertical thing mounted on the left side of the vertical sliding column of your #2?

Yep! I received the same message.

The most we will be able to do is leave negative feedback for the seller... there is no way we are going to get the seller to send us the steppers for the offered price. Ebay has even made it difficult if not impossible to leave negative feedback in such cases.

I am just going to accept my money back and forget about it. Even though I would have loved to have those steppers at the price. :confused:

Yep! I received the same message.

The most we will be able to do is leave negative feedback for the seller... there is no way we are going to get the seller to send us the steppers for the offered price. Ebay has even made it difficult if not impossible to leave negative feedback in such cases.

I am just going to accept my money back and forget about it. Even though I would have loved to have those steppers at the price.

I'm thinking about pushing it a bit and see what happens. Longs is a pretty big company so they can take the hit without starving to death, but the CEO is not going to be happy :)

I had 2 B&S #2's over the years and only one of them had enough of the original parts to make the auto feed work. Like Bob said, it is incredibly complicated and purely mechanical, and ran by flat belts. I found that I spent more time maintaining the drive system than actual grinding. I found a Reid 618 a few years ago that was all manual, but in a lot better shape and direct drive, a modern machine with better bearings and less complicated.
I added a traverse drive with a 90 volt dc motor and controller. The stroke is controlled by a reversing limit switch and adjustable stops.
drivemtr.jpg
control.jpg

The reversing switch has a retractable roller to disengage the switch away from the rollers to move the table past the stops.
The biggest difference between this machine and the B&S is that the table is driven with a timing belt versus a rack and pinion. This makes for less shock when changing directions, especially when it is driven from the original handwheel. Most commercial grinders that have a power feed on the traverse use hydraulics to drive the table instead of mechanical means.

Back