Convert hand pump press to airhydraulic?

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi All
I have have a 40 ton hand pump hydraulic press with the 2 stage hand pump and reservoir on the right hand side. It has 2 size pump rams a large one About 1” in diameter for speed and a small one about .5” in diameter for pressure. I have a nice 10,000 psi air/hydraulic floor pump I would like to use on it so i can handle pressing jobes with both hands. I’m right handed to boot, and it is right handed pump. So I’m always fiddling withe left hand to hold stuff, that takes both hands and using my left, well you know it is for a 3 haded jub to say the least. This is the Big Red press that is made in china and sold under different names. It the pressure releife star wheel right next to the high speed pumping piston.
Where do I hook into hydraulic system for it to work right?
Thanks
CH

7A549567-F752-4AB1-B860-F611398A747E.jpeg

5A8BC23A-A402-4C0D-B258-B2229BD26C0E.jpeg

Last edited:
Your standard pump is both pump and fluid reservoir so replace your hand pump with the air hydraulic plus a fluid reservoir.

Your standard pump is both pump and fluid reservoir so replace your hand pump with the air hydraulic plus a fluid reservoir.

A bypass valve from high pressure side to reservoir side allows release is required if the pump doesn't have a pressure release facility.

I converted mine 30 years ago so if I can remember????
I went with electric instead of air but same thing.
As far as I remember I put a tee in the original hose and the end that would go to your air/hyd pump needs a check valve.
That way when the relief is closed your air pump will run the cylinder, release pressure same as always at the hand valves (original relief).
Pumping manually is the same as the check valve in the air/hyd pump hose prevents fluid flow to it and the ram works as always.

Works good for running the ram out to hold position and then the manual levers can be used if small movement (more control) is needed.

I left out the part where you have to supply the air/hyd with fluid. A line/hose from the original reservoir to the supply side is all that's needed.
I think my reservoir had a drain plug that I used for that connection.

Back