Convert HF 8x12 lathe to milling machine.

jimisbell

Active User
Registered
I am thinking about mounting a 3" cross slide vice on the front (1" x 10") side of the lathe cross slide to use as a milling attachment. Has anyone done this?

I just did a quick Google search for images, and yeah, looks like a lot of people have done shop-made milling attachments (I searched 7x12 figuring more hits.) Is that what you're after?

I have the store-bought version for my lathe, and while it's not terribly robust and a lot harder to use for milling than a vertical mill, there have been a few operations that I did fairly easily that I had trouble figuring out how to handle on the mill. Figure out how to include height adjustment (as opposed to a static mounted vise) if you can. I've definitely used that feature on mine.

-Ryan

Lots of people have & it's quite common in the small hobby size lathe relm. I thought about it too when I hade the very same lathe. Gives more verstiliaty but it still very limited. Endmills don't due to well held in lathe chucks or drill chucks. I held out & got a bigger lathe & dedicated mill.

If you have the room & can swing it, get a mini mill, or something larger if possible. I'm a lathe guy & I use it more than my mill but the mill is much more useful for me. Definitely have to have both.

Craftsman made a really nice milling attachment that has X, Y, Z, and R

Lathe mill.JPG

Lathe mill.JPG

I bought one of these but never actually used it: I basically wanted to study the design for something I was building. I think for $65 it's a pretty good item. I'll probably add it to a lathe I'm restoring.
Charles

That whole thing for $65 seems like a bargain! But it looks too small for an 8x12 unless that printing is in a really large font.

That whole thing for $65 seems like a bargain! But it looks too small for an 8x12 unless that printing is in a really large font.

Well, it's 5 1/2" from the base to the top of the dial, 2" wide, and 3 1/2" deep if that helps.

That is the Taig milling attachment for their micro lathe. Little Machine Shop does sell them for use on the 7 x 10 class lathe, but I agree that it might be a little small for an 8" swing - just depends on what you are wanting to use it for. You could add a riser block to get it up to the height you need, it would just be limited on travel.

Back