Convert LeBlond 19" servo shift to 230v.

Rowdy T.

Registered
Registered
I bought a 19" LeBlond servo shift lathe in CA. Drug it home 1,000 miles and 3 flat tires later it was at my shop. (small shop here on my ranch)
No three phase power here so I bought a Phase Perfect phase converter that turns my single phase to 3 phase, and I can run multiple motors off of it! It makes 230v ac 3ph power. Now the problem, My lathe is set up for 460v. My main drive motor can be wired for 460 or 230. I rewired the 10 hp motor to 230v.
The lathe won't turn on. I have never used a servo shift so I'm at a loss here. Maybe all that electric stuff in the panel won't work on 230v ?
My 15" LeBlond, not servo, runs just fine and so does my 3ph compressor, so I know the phase converter is working.
Help help help me get this 19" monster lathe running.

Yes, Mike is correct, there is usually a control transformer to operate the contactors which has to be reconnected for 230v-
-Mark

You didn't mention what type of controls the machine has. In many cases (at least with Allen Bradley and Furnas) there are coils to pull in the contactors and a set of overloads (heaters) in the main panel. The coils in your case would currently be 460 volt, and the heaters would be relatively low amperage. The coils will need to be changed out for 230 volt ones, and the heaters will have to be exchanged for those with double the amperage capacity.

I have several machines in the shop with either Allen Bradley or Furnas controls. Those that were run on 460 3 phase had to have the starter coils and heaters replaced. If you have Allen Bradley the components can be sourced relatively inexpensively from eBay or similar sites. Furnas control components on the other hand are harder to come by and exponentially more expensive. I was able to source the necessary components, but paid the price.

The Furnas contactors on my Sheldon lathe are starting to show some wear and will probably need to be changed out at some time in the future. I about had the big one when I priced them out. Rather than spend several hundred dollars on 4 contactors I purchased a NOS Allen Bradley reversing starter controller for less than $100.00. When the time comes I'll replace the Furnas system with the Allen Bradley one..

Changing out the coils and heaters might sound intimidating, but in reality it's a fairly easy. They're easy to access, and are only held in with a couple machine screws. A few Google searches should get you the documents and specifications. There are currently over 5,000 Allen Bradley starter control parts listed on eBay. Most 230 volt coils are going for between $25.00 and $50.00

OK!!! Thanks for the info! I'll get to it and let y'all know how it turns out.

most controls will be working off 110v for USA manufactured control systems, few are 220v control systems

you will almost never see 460 volt coils on contactors.
it will be unlikely that you will need to change coils, just re-tap the transformer to get the correct coil voltage
if the contactors are using heaters in the overload relay, their values will need to increase.

Last edited:
I appears I have Westinghouse controls.
I rewired the transformer according to the diagram in the transformer. Still nothing. Well, almost nothing, the two "On/off forward/reverse swiches" are now rotating in sync. Still no rotation of the spindle.

You didn't mention what type of controls the machine has. In many cases (at least with Allen Bradley and Furnas) there are coils to pull in the contactors and a set of overloads (heaters) in the main panel. The coils in your case would currently be 460 volt, and the heaters would be relatively low amperage. The coils will need to be changed out for 230 volt ones, and the heaters will have to be exchanged for those with double the amperage capacity.

I have several machines in the shop with either Allen Bradley or Furnas controls. Those that were run on 460 3 phase had to have the starter coils and heaters replaced. If you have Allen Bradley the components can be sourced relatively inexpensively from eBay or similar sites. Furnas control components on the other hand are harder to come by and exponentially more expensive. I was able to source the necessary components, but paid the price.

The Furnas contactors on my Sheldon lathe are starting to show some wear and will probably need to be changed out at some time in the future. I about had the big one when I priced them out. Rather than spend several hundred dollars on 4 contactors I purchased a NOS Allen Bradley reversing starter controller for less than $100.00. When the time comes I'll replace the Furnas system with the Allen Bradley one..

Changing out the coils and heaters might sound intimidating, but in reality it's a fairly easy. They're easy to access, and are only held in with a couple machine screws. A few Google searches should get you the documents and specifications. There are currently over 5,000 Allen Bradley starter control parts listed on eBay. Most 230 volt coils are going for between $25.00 and $50.00
p

Does the machine have a wiring diagram inside the motor starter box? Most have one either there or inside the motor cabinet. Most of my machines have the diagram on the inside of the motor starter box cover.

Does the machine have a wiring diagram inside the motor starter box? Most have one either there or inside the motor cabinet. Most of my machines have the diagram on the inside of the motor starter box cover.
Yes, there is a wiring diagram on side of motor. We have rewired from 460v to 230v.

This may be obvious but have you tried switching two of the hot wires coming into the lathe. When I wired mine, it wouldn't run until I switched the hot wire leads.

Back