• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Convert to Vertical (semi) Permanently

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Robert LaLonde

Banned - Abusive Behavior Towards Staff & Members
Former Member
I recently picked up a 7x12 horizontal bandsaw. The 4x6(8) has started that point in its life where it has one problem after another. I did fix all of them, but I don't really need it anymore. I can't really complain. I did get several years of light commercial use out of it.

I was thinking of adjusting the blade to have less twist, and setting it up (semi) permanently as a vertical bandsaw with a little more substantial table than the stamped sheet metal one it comes with. Of course I can always tilt the bigger saw up and use it vertically, but I was also thinking of leaving a fine pitch blade in the little one as well to make some sorts of cuts easier and safer.

I'd take it off its current stand and make one with a smaller foot print and back legs to stabilize it from toppling over backwards.

Is it a stupid idea? Suggestions? Have you done something like this?

f350ca

Active User
H-M Supporter-Donating Member
I was in the exact same position. Started making adaptors to swing the guides, that would give you a lot more throat depth. Planned on making a mount to reduce floor space as well. Its sat for a year or two and I was given a Delta Milwaukee 14 inch metal cutting band saw. I put the 4x6 back together and gave it away.

Greg

Robert LaLonde

Banned - Abusive Behavior Towards Staff & Members
Former Member
I was in the exact same position. Started making adaptors to swing the guides, that would give you a lot more throat depth. Planned on making a mount to reduce floor space as well. Its sat for a year or two and I was given a Delta Milwaukee 14 inch metal cutting band saw. I put the 4x6 back together and gave it away.

Greg

Well, if somebody give me a nice upright metal cutting bandsaw I guess I'll have to reconsider my options. LOL.

[6]
[5] [7]