Converter recommendations for 2 speed 3hp 3-phase lathe motor

Oh, the joys of trying to run 3ph equipment in a home shop.
Someday I need to sit down and learn this stuff.
Thankfully we have some very knowledgeable folks around here always willing to help out. :encourage:

I would not use a static converter on a difficult load, and you may get some surface finish issues (this has been reported with surface grinders using static converters). If you want the simple approach, probably an RPC. Since it is a bit more difficult load I would recommend a 7.5 Hp. A Y connection motor that does not connect to neutral would not need a transformer, it is what the motor sees for each phase as long as it is floating relative to neutral/ground. You can speak to the RPC manufactures and they can give you more details and recommendations. If you need 120 VAC, you would just use either L1 or L2 and neutral, not the manufactured leg. Also as I outlined previously, the transformer needs to be run off of L1 and L2, not the manufactured leg. You can purchase an RPC panel for under $200 if you can find a decent motor locally.

A VFD will be close to the cost of the RPC, and then you need an enclosure, power switch, fusing and rewire your lathe/control system. It all adds up, and if you just want phase conversion then an RPC is more cost effective. I have seem the American Rotary AMP cubes, they are very nice but more expensive. American rotary gives discounts, so if you watch certain Youtube videos they will have a discount code also Bar Z Bash 2019 there was a discount code. Others may have more info.

RPC...transformer needs to be run off of L1 and L2

Got it. I think the PO was trying to get this to run on a static phase converter, possibly undersized (the SPC I saw was being used for a 1hp mill). When I did some basic checks of the electrics I found that the fuse on one of the transformer's primary inputs was blown. If they hooked the wild leg to the transformer, would this explain blown fuse and ultimately why he couldn't get it to start? I've understood what you're saying about startup issues when a SPC and could have also been the PO's issue.

Given what I want to do: would a large enough static converter be OK for basic testing purposes? For now I just want to get things spinning so I can evaluate the rest of the lathe: headstock, geartrain, bearings, lubricating pump, etc... I'd only be out about $80 if I buy the SPC that MrWhoopee linked to. I wouldn't use the SPC for actually using the lathe.

I am not well versed on the static converts, but it may work for testing purposes. There is a link below where one of the reviews said it did not work for his 3 Hp lathe, and yours might be a difficult start. My understanding is that some of these units might be used both as a static and an RPC by just adding a motor. You may need to tweak the capacitance. I would give these folks a call and see what they recommend or speak to a few of the other RPC distributors:

I think you have a non-Dahlander motor; one of the first two drawings in post #2

I just noticed the part manual for the front speed selector states "2 speed pole changing switch for Dahlander windings..."

Back