Converting 110 v motor to 220v

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello All,

I have a 1940’s 4 wire 110v Master gearhead motor driving my Burke #4 milling machine. The inspection plate identifies the motor only as 110v. Burke’s surviving literature also only identifies this series motor as a 110v motor.

It has four wires coming out of the case for power connection.

Any idea if this 4 wire motor is capable of being run with 220 volts??

If so, I would like to convert and add a VFD to lower the cutter speed hence use larger diameter cutters.

Thanks much for any input.

Glenn

The extra two wires could be for the purpose of reversing rotation.

Sounds like it is single phase? VFD really does not work on the vast majority of single phase motors. Perhaps there are some nuanced approaches, such that some variable speed function could be utilized (depending on what method the single phase motor uses for starting) or perhaps only use it for over clocking (just use it at speeds above 60Hz feed)?

Interesting topic.

Hi Glenn- you might be able to run it on 220 and possibly reverse it but you won't be able to vary the speed or use it with a VFD
-Mark

Does it have a legible nameplate that you can post a picture of?

Tom

It would have more wires if it could be connected for 220 V operation. For low-voltage operation, the coils are connected in parallel; series for high voltage. Your motor is low voltage only. The second pair of wires is for the starting winding and, as Benmychree speculated, can be connected in reverse to change the direction of rotation.

Having said all that, VFDs are for 3-phase motors only. Yours, as has been said, is single phase. If you want speed control, you'll have to change the motor. The good news is that 3-phase motors are actually cheaper than single phase. You can sometimes find used 3-phase motors in the local on-line ads. Just make sure you get one with the correct ratings for you application. Some VFDs can take in single phase and put out 3-phase, but only at the same voltage unless you add a transformer (more expense).

Hawkeye and all, thanks very much. This is what I suspected. My main goal was to confirm if this motor was currently capable of 220v operation. If not, establish a clear upgrade path if and when it needs to replaced. Clearly in the future it can have more capability with the lower speed ranges and larger diameter cutters. Right now it works fine in its more limited operating envelope. So at present, I am happy with the outcome.

I appreciate your assistance!

Glenn

Back