Converting Anilam 3200mk to Mesa 5i25/7i77

95ttoplt1

Registered
Registered
Yep I'm back haha. Jim and DERF have been great help in the past so I though I'd see if you can get me over this hurdle. Hopefully I can make CNC chips by christmas.

This has been a long time in the making. But I finally got some time to play with it and getting the wiring figured out. I got Linux CNC on a desktop and playing a little with it.

I think I have figured out the encoder portion, just trying to figure out the drive control now and having a little trouble deciphering how this all works. I am reusing the Anilam drives SMA7215-1. I have attached pictures of how they were wired in with the Anilam set up. I'm not finding how I should rewire them to the 7i77. Any help on this would be great.

On the drive, there is a 16 pin connector in the middle on the right side. only pins used in past configuration were 3. Signal IN, 4. Common, 5. Tach, 9. Clamp, 11. Common.

The 3. Signal in is a red wire coming from the Anilam console, the 11. Common is black from the console. 5. Tach is a red wire going to the servo, paired with 4. Common black wire. 9. Clamp is a blue wire that goes to an Anilam board plug that says Servo Inhibit.

These are the pins I don't really understand. I know something from the 7i77 should hook to these. The available inputs are listed in the pictures. My Choices are ENA0-, ENA0+, GND, AOUT0,

Pictures attached, thank you in advance!

Drive Wiring.JPG

Encoder wiring.JPG

Servo Inhibit, hooked to blue wire 5 tach.jpg

Motor +&-, servo drive to servo.jpg

Power cap, Organge and Grey Bus Ret 1 B+.jpg

Encoder to Console connection in box.jpg

Encoder cover.jpg

encoder PN.jpg

Encoder 8 pin plug, right side to encoder.jpg

Encoder 8 pin, bottom to box.jpg

Servo Drive, black dots indicate wire connected to that location.jpg

bottom of servo, Grey&Org hooked to Bet Ret 1 B+ and top of cap, Motor+ Motor - Blue and Purpl...jpg

AOUT0 goes to Signal In (3) GND goes to Common(4)

The blue wire might be a thermal switch (or over speed sensor?)

I'm guessing that Clamp means the same as inhibit. Normally you pull that pin low (to common) to inhibit the drive. If the 7I77 is a positive voltage enable output, you may have to put a relay in the circuit to change the logic.

Thanks Jim!

That is kind of what I was thinking for those two. Now more new guy questions. Do I need to jumper both those grounds on the drive side? Pin 4 to Pin 11?

Also, how does the 7i77 control movement? All through that single Signal(3) wire? I guess I though there would be a +/- type pair.

Thanks for the help!

I'll look into pulling that clamp down to ground(maybe E stop switch?)

Can I remove this board entirely? It's listed as the control board. I assume the 7i77 will replace the functions here.
IMG_20181022_104841.jpg

Thanks Jim!

That is kind of what I was thinking for those two. Now more new guy questions. Do I need to jumper both those grounds on the drive side? Pin 4 to Pin 11?

I think they are internally connected

Also, how does the 7i77 control movement? All through that single Signal(3) wire? I guess I though there would be a +/- type pair.

The +/- 10V swingings around 0 (common), so the signal wire (3) may be some positive or negative voltage, with respect to the common, at any given time. Pin 3 goes to a comparator input on the board, then from that point the drive works its magic.

I'll look into pulling that clamp down to ground(maybe E stop switch?)

I think some additional documentation on that drive would be a good thing. Not sure if that drive needs a high going or low going signal to enable (uninhibit?)

Can I remove this board entirely? It's listed as the control board. I assume the 7i77 will replace the functions here.
View attachment 278172

If you were really clever you would figure out how to use it in the new system. :) It would give you optical isolation between your 7i77 and the rest of the machine. I did remove mine and replaced it with some optocoupled relays because I didn't have time to trace out the all the functions, so I took the quick route.

The only relay you really need is K2, that powers up the servo power supply.

If you were really clever you would figure out how to use it in the new system. :) It would give you optical isolation between your 7i77 and the rest of the machine. I did remove mine and replaced it with some optocoupled relays because I didn't have time to trace out the all the functions, so I took the quick route.

The only relay you really need is K2, that powers up the servo power supply.

Ok thats easy to keep. I was looking at putting my desktop and everything in this cabinet.

Care to explain "optical Isolation". I goggled and came up with some thing not related.

I think some additional documentation on that drive would be a good thing. Not sure if that drive needs a high going or low going signal to enable (uninhibit?)

I'll see what I can find. Anilam information isn't the easiest to come by.

Looking at the 7i77 documentation it has a ENA0+ and ENA0-. I figured those stood for Enable postive and Enable neg. Is that not true? Would those be choices to enable to the drive(ie one of these would connect to the "clamp" post on the drive to enable?)

I did put my desktop in the cabinet. But I had to cut the case at the edge of the motherboard to get it to fit, didn't need the drive bays anyway :grin: Mounted it on the inside of the door.

Optical isolation is where the relay has a LED and a photo transistor in it to isolate the power side and the control side from each other. K2 is one example of such a device. The little white IC chips on the board are optocouplers, they isolate the controls from something, not sure what. This protects your controls from nasty voltage spikes.

I'm guessing the drives are not Anilam, Pacific Scientific maybe? Servo Dynamics? There should be some part numbers on them.

The ENA0+ and ENA0- are an output and return. Would be useful for operating a relay, but I see no way to use that to trigger the clamp. I could be wrong here, and the clamp may take a high going input to enable the drive. More information is needed to make sure how that works. I also need to look at the 7i77 documentation before I stick my neck out too far :)

I guess I assumed Anilam made thier own drives but I have no idea. Here is pictures.

Electro optical makes perfect sense. I see the extra open places now. Hmmm. Maybe I'll remove it for now and keep it for use later if I get fancy.
IMG_20181022_185830.jpgIMG_20181022_185841.jpg

Found this. Seems useful!

So could I run the "clamp" from both drives through my E stop button and to ground? Using that to enable my drives? It seems like the Anilam control used a command as well as E stop position to enable them.
Screenshot_20181022-191230.png

Back