Converting Anilam 3200mk to Mesa 5i25/7i77

That was a good find, that tells how the clamp works. I didn't know Anilam had their own drives, first I have seen in a system. All of the others that I have seen are Servo Dynamics, and those drives may have been made by Servo Dynamics with an Anilam label on them.

From the 7i77 manual:
''SERVO ENABLE OUTPUTS
Six uncommitted OPTO coupler outputs are available for drive enable. Five of these outputs are (ENA0 through ENA4) are switched in common while ENA5 can be independently switched for spindle applications. The ENA outputs are floating switches so can be used for active high and active low drive enables. Output rating of the switches is 50 mA max at 100VDC max . Note that the enable outputs are polarized and can be damaged with reverse polarity. For active high drive enables, ENAN+ should go to the appropriate positive power supply and ENAN- to the drive enable input. For active low enable drives, ENAN+ should go the the drive enable and ENAN- to control power ground.''

So, the Clamp pin is + and the common is - so if I read this correctly, ENAN+ should go to the Clamp pin, and ENAN- should go to the drive common. It depends if you can change the logic of the enable output in software, because if the 7i77 switches ON the the enable output, that is going to send the Clamp to common and the drive will be disabled. On my machine, I don't have the Clamp connected at all, and just switch the power to the drives.

hmm, so clamp is more of a servo disable vs servo enable? I guess I can switch the power on to them and see what happens? It seems like the 7i77 simple connects ENA+ to ENA- and has a diode so current can only go one direction?

Would clamp just be the E stop function on the original machine? I can wire the E stop through the 7i77 I think.

I really appreciate all your help,

For whatever reason, many drives are enabled as the default condition, and you have to pull a pin low to disable. Never really did understand that thinking.

Yes, I think that would be an E stop function. I think it would connect to the 7i77 that way, or you could put another set of contacts on your E stop switch and wire through that.

Ok. Started removing the old Anilam components from the box tonight (yeah I'm slow). There is multiple power supplies in the box, all separate it seems. Is there any reason to keep these? Documentation is hard to find on these and I have several good computer power supplies. Is there a reason to use these old Anilam power supplies? I'd assUme that I need to retain a 10v power supply for the drives.

You mentioned the K2 relay. Looking at that control board, it's the only part I'll be using. Can I just get rid of that completely, and turn on the drive power supply with the on/off switch on the box and wire directly to the drives(with the cap inline)? Right now I can't see how to activate this K2 relay and the space in the box would be nice.

Last edited:
You may need the 24V supply, handy to have in any case. The computer supply can go. The Mesa system should supply the other needed power. The +/- 10V analog voltage should be provided by the 7i77

No, you want to be able to power up the drive power separately and after the computer has control of things. K2 isn't very big, about 1 1/2 x 2 x 3/4 or so. Just take the board off of K2 and you'll see what you have there. K2 is what actually mounts the board to the panel. You can mount it in any convenient location.

This is what it looks like

1540437589448.png

Ok. I got the K2 off the board.

Tonight's question.

What voltages do I need to run everything. I thought the BUS RET 1 & B2 wires coming from the control board to the drives were 10v+/-. After looking at things, it appears these are 110v AC. Is that correct? If so, what comes out of these drives on MOTOR + & MOTOR -?

I thought 10v servo AMP was describing the output. It seems I was in error and that's simply the control side.

This caused me some confusion. Look at the sticker on the board. Doesn't that imply that it's connectting 3-32vdc??

The K2 relay has a much better diagram. So the drives switch 110vac? How does it achieve rotation in both directions? Does it rectify to 55vdc?

My motors are rated to 200V, but it doesn't specify AC or DC.

Honestly, automotive electrical is so simple compared to this stuff. I'd be completely lost with out you guys.
IMG_20181025_191056.jpg

IMG_20181025_205528.jpgMaking progress! Started arranging stuff in the box one IIMG_20181025_205538.jpg got it unloaded. Plenty of room for the computer, hard drive and PSU. I'll have to cut a hole for the PSU air inlet. I have an additional fan I'll install in the door as well. So happy this will look all clean and neat when I'm done. This box was always a mess.

The control side of K2 (''coil'') will operate at 3 to 32 volts. So in most systems this means that you would energize it with either a 5V or 24V DC signal. (those are the most common control voltages) On the field side, it will switch up to 240 VAC @ 25 amps. The part number, 240 D 25 tells me this. The ''D'' means DC control side. If the part number was 240 A 25, then the control side would be AC, normally 120 or 240 V

The drives are powered by the large transformer, that is connected to a bridge rectifier, and then to a large capacitor with orange (+) and gray (-) wires connected to it. K2 switches the transformer on and off. Not sure what the actual DC Bus voltage is. It could be wired across the line through K2 with no transformer in which case the DC bus would be about 145VDC

What is the voltage rating on that big cap?

you're all over it Jim!

No Transformer anywhere in here that I can see(in the other box that came with my Mill there's a large Transformer as the mill was setup to run for 43 phase. Everything in this box is ran on a single input 110v. I did get the mill to work by simply plugging this into a regular outlet. We unwired the transformer in the other box as we have no use for it.

There's a small Silver Emi filter that is between where the power comes into the box and the K2 relay. The wires come out of the K2 relay go to a bridge rectifier and then into the cap. I honestly didn't notice that little black box was a bridge rectifier until now. Cap is 5000MFD, 200VDC,250VDC Max surge.

Back