Converting equipment to 12vdc only

pandreasen

Registered
Registered
I need help! No, I have a psychiatrist! I want to find a way to convert (temporarily, and able hopefully go back to normal) my Atlas 618 lathe and a HF (actually LMS) mini mill, for use out in the boonies. I have some friends who want me to help make improvements to hardware (using my equipment) but there is NO power within a 100 miles of their cabin. I could probably do it on the lathe alone. I have a variable DC motor on it now, but it is a 0-90V unit with an ac input controller. I want to be able to set it up "out there Where this is GREAT fishing) and run it using either a big battery bank (I mean BIG) or a 12vdc output wind generator that puts out way more than enough power. I quess I am getting old when I can't figure it out myself, bu(t).... A PM would be wonderful because I KNOW I will forget to keep looking for a response... I DID mention age dint I?

My Buddy lives on an island with no power. He has a solar bank for his cabin, but recently added an electric 120v boat hoist and asked me what he should do since the hoist doesn't come in 12v version. Down at the lake he has a small solar panel feeding two series 6v golf cart batteries and a 2 Kw inverter. He build he battery and inverter in a portable box with wheels so he can take it other places as well for his circ saw etc. It powers the boat lift great. The boat lift uses an induction motor...not sure the size but looks like at least 1/2 hp.

David

+1 on a generator setup. I don't think you'll ever get acceptable power/torque from a 12v dc setup. Heck, even the battery drills and such have all gone to 18v or 20v. You may get acceptable performance but it would be for a very short time period. For a system that has enough battery(s) power, I think just purchasing, hauling and recharging the batteries would be more cost/work than a generator and a couple cans of gas.

An inverter is the simplest way to go. Be sure to consider startup current draw in selecting an inverter. Also, keep in mind the a typical deep cycle battery has around 1 kw-hr of energy storage. On a heavy draw, you would probably only utilize 40 -50% of that. An Atlas 6 x 18 would have a 1/3 to 1/2 hp motor or somewhere around 500 - 600 watts of power draw. From that you would have around a hour of operating time at best.

Another vote for an inverter. :)

I lived for 2 years off-grid, the advice of an inverter is spot-on. You'll likely spend as much converting a couple of machines to DC as you will getting a quality inverter; the bonus is the inverter will work for so much more. I presume the battey bank is sufficient but ensure it's got the capacity to support the work without stressing the batteries.

Don't buy the cheapest as some motors don't operate so well on a "modified sine wave" inverter, shop around and make sure what you're getting is compatible with what you're planning to run on it. Make sure the inverter is large enough to handle not only the operating load, but the surge at startup or when doing heavy work. Be prepared to try out several brands and models, returning any that don't meet your needs. Additionally, make sure you test it before you go out in the field, lugging a bunch of equipment to a remote site and having all your planning ruined by a lack of testing beforehand is very unpleasant.

12 volts is the least efficient way, you would be drawing too much current for the battery to last very long. That's why UPS (uninterruptable power systems) use 24 to 48 volts or higher. Electric cars use high voltage too.
Agree with all the others: generator or higher voltage battery bank and inverter
mark

Converting the lathe to 12VDC could be done, with a winch motor. The ones from HF have a magnet as the field. Relative speed consistancy. It would involve a (relatively) permanant conversion to the machine. As such, I would advise against it. It would work, I have such equipment as a "worst case standby" for my own shop. One of those "Just In Case" scenarios. But I don't expect to use it. The GenSet on my tractor PTO is my primary standby, seven KW for as long as the diesel lasts. I have a couple of 55 gallon drums.... BTW, my residence is about two KW total. I don't use air conditioning or electric heat.

An automotive starter would work, worst case. But not very stable, it is usually a series wound motor. Good for hoisting but not so for speed stability. Should you use such an option, be sure to provide for cooling. Such motors are not set up for continuous use.

An inverter is the second best option. It would involve some really serious batteries, a lot of them. And solar or wind power would take a serious plant. Not something I would want on a vacation property. The consideration here is wattage. Figure one KW continuous. As in, more than ten minutes. That would take a lot of recovery time.

To my thinking, a small genset would be first choice. A small plant that could be picked up and carried easily. Easier than the machine. One to several hours run time. There are smaller plants than one KW, 1000 watts. But for continuous use, one KW would be the minimum. No, the lathe doesn't pull that much, except when starting. For field use though, several starting cycles is a good idea.

The other option, which I gather is not usable in your case, is a belt from the PTO of a Japanese or Chinese tractor. The kind with a multi-speed output. Many small American tractors are made overseas and have that option.

The bottom line here is not power but storage conditions. If the machine is to be left at a remote location, it must have regular maintenance so it doesn't rust. Even a light surface rust would ruin the accuracy of the machine. If it is to be transported to and from, consideration must be given to alignment. Again, the bottom line, storage. If it to be carried out for a week-end, why bother. For longer terms, a genset is a must.

Just my opinion, of course;
Bill Hudson​

Back