Converting My New 1340gt 3ph Model To Vfd

Randy A.

Registered
Registered
Hey guys! New to the site and new to machining. I ordered the wj200-015sf and I just removed the control board from the lathe. I left the termination block and the stepdown transformer. I will be using the the basic single relay diagram for the hitachi wj200 that I got off of this site. I am getting ready to order the parts listed from automation direct. One 4 pole relay, relay socket,jog sw, e-stop and 5k pot. How many diodes do I need 2,3? I will be using the lighted jog sw so I won't need the led pwr light in the diagram. Any other parts that Iam missing other than connectors and wire would be helpful. Your help and thoughts would be grateful. I live in Ellijay Ga and I am a lineman for Ga.Power.

Hi Randy. Just wanted to welcome you and offer congratulations on buying the best 1340 lathe on the market. I've got one - it's a really great machine. Also, love Ellijay and the North GA mountains. I used to run around all over the mountains area, especially around Lake Rabun and Highlands, NC. I'm Native American, Eastern Band Cherokee and Choctaw ancestry, so I naturally spent a lot of time on the Rez at Cherokee, NC. Pretty close to you too.

Best regards,

Squier

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Hi Randy,
The number of diodes needed depends on the build your are doing. They can be picked up very inexpensively on eBay or through an electrical supplier. I would get 10 to have a few extra on hand (sometime they are installed wrong or get damaged), the builds usually require anywhere from 4 to something like 7. The lighted JOG must be a LED if connected to the VFD power. The LEDs in the schematic tell you power to the machine and if the power relay is tripped in the attached design links. The link below give some different variants on what can be done with the single relay design and parts. It been awhile, but if you need some help you can ask here or drop me a PM with your email.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/atta...roximity-sw-for-rev-jog-14sep2015-pdf.142209/

Randy
Welcome to the site. Pay close attention to the posts by mjsj on the VFD conversions, he has some great write ups with lots of details. He has helped a lot of us on installing a VFD.

Hi Randy,
The number of diodes needed depends on the build your are doing. They can be picked up very inexpensively on eBay or through an electrical supplier. I would get 10 to have a few extra on hand (sometime they are installed wrong or get damaged), the builds usually require anywhere from 4 to something like 7. The lighted JOG must be a LED if connected to the VFD power. The LEDs in the schematic tell you power to the machine and if the power relay is tripped in the attached design links. The link below give some different variants on what can be done with the single relay design and parts. It been awhile, but if you need some help you can ask here or drop me a PM with your email.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/atta...roximity-sw-for-rev-jog-14sep2015-pdf.142209/

Got my wj200 vfd today so I am getting closer to the install. I will be looking at the schematics this weekend so that I can make a choice.I will get in touch with you soon Mark, thanks for your future help.

I also did the single relay design and reused the power supply to run the light, DRO and RPM display.

circuit1.JPG

Looks good Dan. I will be going the same route with a single relay diagram and stock transformer.

Ordered all the switches, wire,braking resistor etc for the next part of the build.I built the box for the vfd this weekend and got that hooked up.The lathe stand was finished a week ago. I have been busy in my spare time with all this. I would like to post pictures but I don't know how. Never belonged to a site like this one. Any help would be appreciated. I know you guys will come through. Thanks.

Back