Converting NC tape machine to manual

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
What's the consensus on converting a punch tape Wells Index mill to manual controls? The vertical mill model 823 is in very good, little used condition. But there are no manual controls except the knee. The owner said that a CNC conversion setup was available 'back when'. Seems to me that removing the motors would allow some type of hand wheels to be installed.
What do you think?
Aaron

Sure, that would work. You could also just hang some new controls on it and have a CNC machine, either way you'll have a nice machine. My preference is to have both manual and CNC capability. Mine has both handwheels and motors.

I had a CNC mill that I was considering converting to manual , the only real problem was the Z axis , as the only way to move it was to turn it's ball screw . There was no way to put a handle on it say like a Bridgeport .

There was no way to put a handle on it say like a Bridgeport .

I gotta disagree with you here, there's always a way if you're clever enough. :grin: The challenging projects are the most fun.

Jim , yes challenge is good to a point . The machine that I was describing was a 85' Super Max knee mill that was designed to accept a CNC package by any company that wanted to buy it and install there own stuff . The Super Max was a good machine with the Anilam controller , it could switch from CNC to manual and that made set up and prototypes doable within a decent amount of time . The machine as a stand alone manual machine would have been limited , first you could only tram the head in the X axis , Y was fixed . There was no tilting the head to get a angle , yes Jim I know what a angle plate is . Rather than say there was no way to convert it , I should have said there was no sensible way to do it . Now how could it have been done ? Copy a Bridgeport , grind a gear rack in the spindle and get a pinion to work , there was no provision in the head for that , it would of had to be designed and machined , no thanks . A easier solution , get a Bridgeport head mounted on the ram , remember the head was basically fixed so a knuckle would of had to be designed and machined , again no thanks . Jim you seem to be in the retro fit game , that puts you in the commercial category not the hobby category you should be careful what you suggest around here you could lead someone down the path of a huge waste of time and money . So could it be done , ahem , yes . Should it be done ?

Last edited:
Weather you think you can, or think you cant, you are always right
That quote was the only thing about Henry Ford that I liked...........................

. Jim you seem to be in the retro fit game , that puts you in the commercial category not the hobby category you should be careful what you suggest around here you could lead someone down the path of a huge waste of time and money . So could it be done , ahem , yes . Should it be done ?

The only commercial retrofits I do are for high speed wood processing equipment, and haven't done any of those for a couple of years. I have done a couple CNC retrofits for friends, but I don't do it commercially. No money in it. Most of the stuff I do is for my own use, but I do admit that I have a background and experience that the average hobbyist may not have.

In reality, problem solving is what I do for a living. I'll pretty much tackle anything and being half crazy helps too. :grin:

Do you actually have a Punch Tape Wells Index NC mill?! Pictures or it didn't happen..... I have never seen a punch tape mill before....... I need to see this machine....

Last edited:
I wrote my first programs for punch tape, still hate writing them ...............
Manual machining forever !!!.......................:dancing banana:

Last edited:
I made the mistake of buying a wells index mill, that was converted to a tracer mill. Being somewhat young, and dumb, I thought I could easily convert it to a manual. It uses hydraulic cylinders for the X, and Y axis. It would need the lead screws, hand wheels, and nuts, and probably a ton of other parts. I did buy a spool valve for a snow plow, and some levers to try to make it into a drill press on steroids, but bought the four head Fosdick in the mean time. So now the Wells Index just sits in the way. This pic, was after an almost disastrous unloading attempt, but you can easily see the big hydraulic cylinders that move the X & Y axis.

oops.jpg

Yea, anything can be converted, but there is a lot that is not worth the attempt.

Back