Converting NC tape machine to manual

This one does not have hydraulic cylinders but some type of electric motor.

Do you actually have a Punch Tape Wells Index NC mill?! Pictures or it didn't happen..... I have never seen a punch tape mill before....... I need to see this machine....

Here are some pics of the machine, control unit and tape puncher

DSCF3863.JPG

DSCF3864.JPG

DSCF3865.JPG

DSCF3866.JPG

DSCF3867.JPG

This one does not have hydraulic cylinders but some type of electric motor.

Here are some pics of the machine, control unit and tape puncher

Thank you! I was just telling a friend a few days ago that CNC machines used to be controlled by punch tapes, he almost refused believe me. Lol:cool:

How do you write programs for tape puncher?

AGCB97 , I forget do you own this machine ? From the pictures it would appear this machine has lead screws . So for a conversion this is a step in the plus direction . Sorry but I don't want to read the practically a machinist links . So if you actually own this beast and it has lead screws and you want to go full manual your main concern is the Z quill . As for the interesting vid on the punch tapes , I'm old enough that I have been there and I have done that , thanks a lot I threw up in my mouth a little . Pay backs are a bitc* .

Last edited:
The machine is in a shop that I'm helping a friend to liquidate.
Yes there are lead screws on the x & y axis.
Seems it is only worth scrap price as no one that researches a little wants to pay more. I may just salvage some motors and stuff from it and give it to the scrap guys for $75/ton.

Back