Converting Rockwell 10x36 to 3ph w/ Vfd

woodcutter

Registered
Registered
About a year and a half ago I bought a Rockwell 10x36 lathe from a gunsmith in the area.It wasn't trashed, but it was in less than pristine condition. I took it apart , cleaned and painted. Found worn shafts and bushings in the QCGB and replaced those. After assembly it became apparent that there was a problem with the drive, which was a Reeves type variable speed. The belts would either slip or if I tightened everything up it would overload the motor.
I decided to convert to a 3ph motor with a VFD. Following is the process.
[attachimg=2]
The original motor was 3/4 hp 1700 rpm. I found a 1hp 1100rpm at HGR ( one of my favorite shopping centers ) for the princely sum of $29.The original drive was scrapped and replaced it with three step pulleys and a toothed timing type belt.
Made wood patterns for the new mounting pieces and had them cast in iron at Cat Tail foundry.[attachimg=3][attachimg=4][attachimg=5]
This was the original drive set-up. Next are the wood patterns and iron castings from them.[attachimg=6][attachimg=7]
There was some machining involved with the castings. I had a Benchmaster vertical mill and an Atlas horizontal at the time. I have since sold the Benchmaster but still have the Atlas.[attachimg=8][attachimg=9][attachimg=10][attachimg=11][attachimg=12]
Here is the layout of the new drive.[attachimg=13]
Made a cam to lift the motor to tension the belt and allow for switching steps.Low tech but it worked.[attachimg=14][attachimg=15][attachimg=16]
Here's the finished results, showing the VFD behind the lathe. I'm thrilled with the results. It runs nice and smooth and quiet.Have never even started to bog it down. I vary the VFD frequency with a knob from 30 hz to 90 hz. This gives a speed range from 18 rpm in backgear and slowest belt step to 1400 rpm in direct drive and fastest pulley.[attachimg=17]
In my next installment I will describe replacing the cross slide screw and making a new cross slide. Hope you found this interesting. Henry

gear 025.jpg metal lathe 003.jpg metal lathe 006.jpg rockwell lathe 012.jpg rockwell lathe 013.jpg rockwell lathe 001.jpg rockwell lathe 003.jpg rockwell lathe 004.jpg rockwell lathe 005.jpg rockwell lathe 008.jpg rockwell lathe 010.jpg rockwell lathe 011.jpg rockwell lathe 014.jpg rockwell lathe 016.jpg rockwell lathe 018.jpg rockwell lathe 019.jpg rockwell lathe 022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been a fan of Reeves drive systems, so glad you got rid of it. Good job!

My first attempt at posting pictures didn't turn out so I will try the pics again so you can get something out of them. Henry rockwell lathe 001.jpg rockwell lathe 003.jpg rockwell lathe 007.jpg rockwell lathe 008.jpg rockwell lathe 012.jpg rockwell lathe 015.jpg rockwell lathe 009.jpg rockwell lathe 010.jpg rockwell lathe 016.jpg rockwell lathe 018.jpg rockwell lathe 019.jpg rockwell lathe 020.jpg rockwell lathe 022.jpg gear 025.jpg rockwell lathe 001.jpg rockwell lathe 005.jpg

Attachments

• metal lathe 006.jpg
    metal lathe 006.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I see pics of this conversion I am impressed. Really nice job Henry.

Like 2 get some information on the rockwell 10"vfd conversion

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Back