Cooker

Z2V , I used to build cookers , branding irons ,gates , and whatever in Jonestown TX lived there 25yrs kinda wish I never left. Lake Travis was nice.
Yes, Travis is nice and Jonestown is still a laid back small rural town.
So, you went from Texas to California, it’s usually the other way around. LOL

Great looking job. I'm planning on making a cooker out of two semi trailer rims , there heavy as heck. Figure it'll cook like the green egg cookers. I had about forty at one time but kept two of the best for the build. I like your build too.

Can’t PM you but , went from Cali 1981 to Tucson 7yrs, to Jonestown 25yrs, to Polk Co. Arkansas 10yrs, back in Cali 2 yrs.

Reactions: Z2V
A couple of nice looking cookers.

Your offset smoker style cookers are new to us here in downunder. While we have a long proud history of BBQ style cooking, it usually is direct grilling, with either hot plate or grill bars, Weber style bbq's were popular here for a while.

We like to use charcoal, but in many areas we have to use gas (propane) in the summer because of bushfire risk. It's actually illegal to have an open fire at these times. even an offset is classed as an open fire.

the offset style are rapidly becoming popular, and I recently bought a cheap chinese one (I call it the junk). Now that I have found I like it I have started to make one. Suitable gas tanks are very hard to come by here as we can't own the large ones only rent from the gas co. The largest ones we can own are 9kg (20lb) that we call bbq gas bottles. and they are too small, although ok for the offset fire box on a small cooker.

However there is a small black market in used tanks from cars, and I have managed to obtain one that is about 14"dia x 90" long, about 60 gall, a little small, but I think usable.

i guess i should take some pics and post them.

if you are going to make one consider putting the stack next to the firebox. to accomplish that you need a sub floor in the tank. cooks much more evenly that way. View attachment 266437

I have thought of that, but I'm concerned that it's a bit small to do it that way only 14"dia. I would also have to remove floor when direct grilling which I tend to do as often if not more than smoking. If I can source a larger tank I might try one that way. It's all new to me, this is my first one.

Pick up a hot water heater..bigger the better..

Most hot water heaters here are either copper tank or glass lined steel. The copper ones are the right shape. but not suitable, the steel ones are usually long and skinny and almost always rusted out, but keeping my eyes open, also looking for compressed air tanks some are the right shape and size but often still in use or rusted out.

Most of time when a heater or air tank rust out its only a small hole.you can shorten a long tank..here we have lowboy water heaters.fits in a low area.short and fat..makes a good grill.wish I could find a copper tank..make a good "cooker".. A holding tank for a well make a good cooker after the bladder is out..

Back