Cool engineering

There sure must be a complicated mechanical portion to that build.

"Billy G"

Even with a stationary core, I wonder how they distribute power and comm, etc.. I suppose you could have inductive coupling for the power, but those would be some pretty special transformers. Surely nothing as primitive as brushes and commutator. WiFi would get the phone and internet, but what about water and sewer? May be that part of each floor, which is an apartment, is actually in the stationary core. Go into the bathroom from your living room and come out in the kitchen because the whole house has spun around. Well no, I guess based on that assumption the kitchen would have to be stationary too.

I'll have to call a few friends and see if they have been around or in it someday.

If the elevator is in the core, what would put it in front of your apartment repeatedly? There is quite a bit of mechanical and electrical engineering going on there.

"Bill"

It probably would either open to a common area just outside the core, a toroidal hallway if you will, or when you call for your floor, it would rotate to a fixed position indexed to the elevator shaft.

Do architectural codes cover runout on rotating skyscrapers?
Will centrifugal force slo-o-o-o-owly move all of your furniture up against the outside wall?

Tom

I want to see the thrust bearings in the basement.

Back