Cool Video- Erector Set Walking Beam Engine

Reminds me of my old set, I remember the shapes of some of those pieces, and that old blue induction motor with the cheezy gearbox- I played with (and got my finger stuck in) that thing for hours. I believe I used it to power my snail centrifuge- LOL don't ask, many snails were sacrificed in the quest for knowledge
Mark
ps some of those pieces were razor-sharp, you could never market something like that now

Last edited:
YUPP they sure cut good. Nuts and bolts that never tighten up. And there never was enough pieces to finish what YA started. But I still have mine in its original box. With my James bond astin Martin car. And Jim west belt buckle gun. Ah the memories.

We had great toys, toys that could maim, cut, electrocute, poison, burn, cause compound fractures- how did we survive? :eek 2:
OH remember sixfinger? "sixfinger sixfinger man alive, you'll wonder how you ever got along with five" LOL

Reminds me of my old set, I remember the shapes of some of those pieces, and that old blue induction motor with the cheezy gearbox- I played with (and got my finger stuck in) that thing for hours. I believe I used it to power my snail centrifuge- LOL don't ask, many snails were sacrificed in the quest for knowledge
Mark
ps some of those pieces were razor-sharp, you could never market something like that now

You can’t drop a snail centrifuge in here and not elaborate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This took me back a few years! I had Meccano, kept me amused for a long time. There are still keen users worldwide.
Interesting model and it's a vintage model before you get the bits out of the box.
It looks like a beam engine without the parallel motion for the piston rods, where does the walking part come into it?

How many errector set kids are on this board?

I was about 7 (`75) when my father bought me the delux set! I barley had it open when the package of square nuts went in the trash. My second birthday present was a box of decent hex nuts, the appropriate nut runner (green handle) and a decent screwdriver. I don't know how my dad knew to get me hardware upgrade... I don't think he looked it up on the internet? That set lasted for just over a year before we made an order for a lot of extra pieces with my birthday money. I got a LOT of use out of that set! The fun really started when I stopped using the project sheets! I think I was about 10 when I got my Jensen steam engine kit!

I believe I used it to power my snail centrifuge- LOL don't ask, many snails were sacrificed in the quest for knowledge
Mark

Only slightly on topic because of the snails. At a certain time of the year I used to get a lot of snails meeting up on the ceiling inside my shed (possibly for their annual dance) We had a freezer out there and my wife refused to go in the shed while the snails were doing their thing (slowly) To maintain marital bliss, I would go and remove the snails from ceiling. This can be done manually but is time consuming (those things sure do stick) but as an engineering type person, I always look for an efficient solution to a problem. I reasoned that if I used my shop vac, the snails would be too big to go in the nozzle so I could pick them off and place them outside. Having seriously underestimated the suction of my new shop vac, I heard the type of snotty sniffing sound you get with a really, really bad head cold followed by a thunk as the unfortunate snail got sucked through a small hole, down the pipe and into the can. I found this very disturbing so I removed the rest of the snails by hand and placed them into next door's garden. I later replaced the shed roof so we no longer have the problem.

Back