Coolant for the BP?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys been working on my BP putting it together and installing DRO.The repairs and the DRO is going slow cause I order parts little at a time as money permits.So during the times that I am waiting I watch Youtubes,and I see lot of people use coolant during their cuts I guess for longer tool life.One of the materials that I plan on using once I get some experience is stainless steel,and 6061,7515 aluminum along with mild steel who knows what else.I know there is other choices besides SS but thats what I want to use till I learn the hard way.Anyway back to my question I see on Youtube that most use I believe is a mist type,some look like system was purchase then I see some are home made but both I guess you have an air compressor hook up to it.But also believe after using will have to clean,dry then apply coat of oil to BP to prevent rust?So is a coolant system worth having,what system do you have and where to purchase on a limited type budget.Maybe I don't really need one being a weekend'er.Pros/Cons
Reason for asking while I have it out in middle of the room and can get to all sides,just want to get it all setup and be done with it.I look at this as small investments into the mill so that it will have it all and when the day comes that I can't use it anymore that it will be an easy sell.

Last edited:
At my past job, we just typically used a squirt bottle full of coolant. It could get pretty messy! In my home shop, I plan to use the Noga mist Mini Kool kit. Amazon has it for about 90.00.

Mist coolant works well in a home shop. Much less mess and helps lube and cool the part and the tool. I and many of us use Kool-mist 77. I use it at the recommended concentration, 32:1, 1 ounce coolant per quart of water. I clean up when I am done, but have had no problems with corrosion. If you let the coolant evaporate, it will leave a sticky goo, so get it off the surfaces at the end of the day. The black $16.00 Chinese mister units with 2 knobs, one for coolant and one for air, work great at a cheap price.

Last edited:
I have one of these Noga systems and it works great. All industrial currently has them for a good price.

https://allindustrial.com/noga-mc17...4A_fZTFpPA-J9ZTo8GjBjGfHzhHfNiwUaAm4mEALw_wcB

But, you can pick up other systems for less money. I like the Noga with it's nice mag base, but others are very happy with different brands/types.

I use Cool-mist 77 as well. Just wipe the big puddles off. It doesn't seem to cause corrosion at the recommended mixture.

These mist systems really help those cheaper Chinesium end mills and cutters! You can just squirt coolant or oil on, but the misters work much better for me and my use.

If you can make your cutters last longer the mister will pay for itself very quickly.

Ted

I use a cool mist system this is how I set it up for when removing lots of metal,
FA3D5D44-6D7C-4C60-9FFA-455174903542.jpeg1A04ADEB-A14A-47B5-87D0-E00A948DE100.jpeg

I use a cool mist system this is how I set it up for when removing lots of metal,
View attachment 283418View attachment 283419

That's a good way to set things up. I wanted my Noga system to be portable so I mounted a bottle and air hook up connection on a small stand. This way I am using it on both my vertical and horizontal bandsaws, my 3 mills and my surface grinder. Haven't tried it on my lathes yet, but it might come in handy some day to keep things cool while turning.

Ted

Ted,does your setup work off vacuum pulling the coolant?I been watching You tubes,I see that some containers work off psi to push the coolant into air stream.Are you able to adjust the coolant any from very little to little more?I like your setup cause I could move it over to my lathe.

Vacuum, actually venturi. You adjust the air flow via an adjustment screw on the main body and the fluid via turning the spray tip. Works well and is portable.

Ted

Have a Lathe and Mill. Bulk drum under the lathe, with the pump. Return flow and Supply, Cross connected to both machines.
I just use straight oil., and not all that often. Either flood or not at all.
Tips, both HSS and Carbide, Cermet, CBN High Carbon Steel.
Flood only, on parting off and thread cutting on the lathe. All other turning no coolant at all, mostly..You know what I mean.
Miller, flood everytime.
Have fun,
Mark Needham

Back