Coolant Tubing

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've got an old 13x40 TurnPro lathe. The built-in flow coolant system went out today. What I found was that coolant line sprung a major leak. The coolant line is the metric equivalent of 1/4" plastic tube with metal shielding. (Kinda like shielded wire cables). I have been searching the interweb and I can't find a thing like it. Any suggestions on where I might find similar armored tubing? Or what I can use in its place?

Randy

Hi Randy,
i'm sure a hydraulic hose would work for the purposes of moving coolant.
you could possibly get away with using 1/4" Polyester braided vinyl tubing common in hardware stores, unless you need an armored hose

Parker 801 rubber hose will take a variety of fittings, and handles water/oil/etc at modest pressures
(for coolant, probably you don't need heavier). <http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/product/hose/801-hose>
I've had good performance from Tygon (clear vinyl, lots of brands) tubing at low pressures, too.
Flexible metal jacket (Greenfield) from the usual hardware stores' electrical department might
be useful; be sure to install bushings at cut ends, to protect from burrs.

I just use regular vinyl tubing from the hardware store. Had the same tubing on the mill for 5 years now and it isn't showing any deterioration or brittleness.

The factory oiling system on my mill (one pump self oiler thing) also uses vinyl tubing but has a braided or woven metal shielding that the vinyl tube slips inside of. No ends or crimps on the shielding, just a jacket that goes over the tubing and is held on by the tubing's (larger) screw-on ends. A larger diameter would look good used in a coolant system.

Plain old automotive fuel line.
My lathe has that with the armor over it to make it look good(doesn't need it)
I use it on my mill also along with the clear vinyl hose for the drains.

Unless it is a high pressure pump. You don't need reinforced hose. I use the clear vinyl hose.

Back