Coolant

Kirkbregar

Registered
Registered
What do I use for coolant in my jet mill hvm728 I don't think just water is there an additive that I should order. When I used to work in a shop we would add stuff to the water but it always smelled terrible almost like sewer lol

Soluble oil, the milky looking stuff, goes rancid with time and needs to be replaced. The proportions of oil to water also needs to be checked and kept correct or things will start rusting. There are other water based coolants. I use Kool Mist 77 in a mister unit rather than using flood coolant, which does not cause rust and is easier to clean up. Only small quantities are used with a mister unit with most materials. It is diluted 32:1 with water. You can also use various commercially available cutting oils and fluids, or just air for coolant.

I would look into KoolRite products, I use their 2290 in my bandsaw coolant tank, had it in the tank for over a year without problems or stench. I also did not have a problem with rust, which I did have when I tried the Kool Mist. Purchased a gallon off of eBay, use at around a 7-10% dilution with water. You do need to add water as it evaporates over time. There are a few other similar products that are made for professional CNC machines and hold up very well over time. Been very happy with it, in particular not turning nasty after a few months. I will probably also use it in a mist/drip system if I start to machine stainless.

I would look into KoolRite products, I use their 2290 in my bandsaw coolant tank, had it in the tank for over a year without problems or stench. I also did not have a problem with rust, which I did have when I tried the Kool Mist. Purchased a gallon off of eBay, use at around a 7-10% dilution with water. You do need to add water as it evaporates over time. There are a few other similar products that are made for professional CNC machines and hold up very well over time. Been very happy with it, in particular not turning nasty after a few months. I will probably also use it in a mist/drip system if I start to machine stainless.
Thanks

Soluble oil, the milky looking stuff, goes rancid with time and needs to be replaced. The proportions of oil to water also needs to be checked and kept correct or things will start rusting. There are other water based coolants. I use Kool Mist 77 in a mister unit rather than using flood coolant, which does not cause rust and is easier to clean up. Only small quantities are used with a mister unit with most materials. It is diluted 32:1 with water. You can also use various commercially available cutting oils and fluids, or just air for coolant.
Thanks!!

I use Trim MicroSol 690XT at 5% w/ distilled water. I don't run flood though in my home shop, I spray on when needed. Even though I'm not running flood coolant daily I have no problems with rust or staining which is my main concern & mess being second.

Hey Mark,

This is an old thread, but do you have any recent sources for Koolrite 2290 by the gallon? The only places I can find are selling 5 gallons.

Sorry, do not see any current resource, use to be sold on eBay and Amazon. Could try to contact them direct or see if any of the eBay vendors have gallons. Otherwise I would suggest seeing if others are interested in splitting up a 5 gallon jug. Might last decades in a drip system. Also might check with David Best, he uses a similar product that he likes.

Back