Coop's Canedy-Otto Cincinnati Royal 18

If your drilling less than a 1/4" hole in aluminum, brass or bronze you do...

not that I'd be doing it often, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

What do you need to drill at 3000 RPM? You doing dentistry? :LOL:

3000 RPM is really fast for drill press...

Ray

Just FYI: If you're doing production drilling and time is of great importance, then it's best to stick with the recommended RPMs for drilling. You can certainly get away with slower RPMs for most things if you're willing to go a little slower and peck the bit as you go.

I work more aluminum than I care to admit. My drill press is set at/around 500 RPMs and I can't really remember the last time I changed the belts to change the speed. Most of the holes I drill using the drill press are between 1/8 and 1/2". Anyhow, I don't know if that nice old drill press has roller bearings or babbit (sleeve) bearings... I don't think it will go super-nova on you if bend the rules but, as far as I know, most babbit bearings have pretty low RPM ratings.

Ray

If your drilling less than a 1/4" hole in aluminum, brass or bronze you do...

not that I'd be doing it often, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

Just FYI: If you're doing production drilling and time is of great importance, then it's best to stick with the recommended RPMs for drilling. You can certainly get away with slower RPMs for most things if you're willing to go a little slower and peck the bit as you go.

I work more aluminum than I care to admit. My drill press is set at/around 500 RPMs and I can't really remember the last time I changed the belts to change the speed. Most of the holes I drill using the drill press are between 1/8 and 1/2". Anyhow, I don't know if that nice old drill press has roller bearings or babbit (sleeve) bearings... I don't think it will go super-nova on you if bend the rules but, as far as I know, most babbit bearings have pretty low RPM ratings.

Ray

This drill, with a 1800 rpm motor, is set up to run at over 3000 rpm spindle speed from the factory. 3205 is what it's top speed is.

There are three sets of ball bearings. Two on the spindle shaft and one at the top of the pulley.

Last edited:
I would be more concerned about how slow I can go, not how fast. I would check the motor with an rpm gauge, I doubt your running 1800rpm, most likely in the 1725 range. Use that for your calcs.

Just picked up an Ideal hand held tach on EBay...

With the VFD I can go down to 1 rpm if I wanted to going slow is the easy part. It's the high speed that is of more concern to me.
At anything close to 1 RPM you're not going to have any torque.

Cal

At anything close to 1 RPM you're not going to have any torque.

Cal

i know that. It was my sarcastic answer to this...

I would be more concerned about how slow I can go, not how fast. I would check the motor with an rpm gauge, I doubt your running 1800rpm, most likely in the 1725 range. Use that for your calcs.

The new motor and VFD arived today!

Now I have to figure out how to mount the motor to the press. The holes are so close but not good enough. I think I can remove material at the motor bracket and still be safe to operate.

Take a look at this and let me know if this is a bad idea:

Motor Mount-Work.jpg

Motor Mount-Work.jpg

After some thought and advice from a friend, I took a rat tail file to the motor base mount and elongated the holes. Worked great! Motor is mounted. Now I have to fab a bracket to mount the VFD. Off to Lowes to get what I need to wire it up...

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Mocked up the bracket for the VFD. I think it will work! Just have to go back to the hardware store to get a couple of things and should be able to fire her up tomorrow.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Cool, glad your getting things in order. Make a vid of the running if you can. Did you figure out the max speed you can get or will you just measure it?

Back