Coop's Canedy-Otto Cincinnati Royal 18

Cool, glad your getting things in order. Make a vid of the running if you can. Did you figure out the max speed you can get or will you just measure it?

Can do video. Found a vintage Ideal hand held tach on eBay and will just measure it. It should get here Monday or Tuesday. I'm taking a WAG doing the calculations...

It's alive!

First time start up!

[video=youtube_share;8zL17caPDV0]http://youtu.be/8zL17caPDV0[/video]

So I finally got the garage built and have been moving in. Had to take the drill press apart to move it, so I started cleaning it up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405822250.551013.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405822264.149008.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405822279.519194.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405822301.082485.jpg

Going to tackle the spindle bearings tomorrow. Has anybody replaced these bearings? The lock nut and shoe have me at a loss... The lock nut loosens, but then stops. I do not want to force it... What's the trick to getting it off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405822250.551013.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405822264.149008.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405822279.519194.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405822301.082485.jpg

So I was examining the quill and spindle and took the set screw that holds the shoe into the locknut completely out and just grabbed the locknut and turned it off by hand. It came off fairly easily. I was not sure how the shoe worked, but come to find out it is just a key that is threaded. The set screw locked it onto the shaft... Never seen anything like it before. Now I have to go buy a press to get the bearings off...

Last edited:
After taking any bearing retainers off the top of the spindle you may be able to gently knock the spindle out with a mallet and piece of wood. Not sure about the bottom bearing, but a piece of the right diameter plastic pipe might work to drift the old one off and the new one on. You may even get away with cleaning the existing bearings and regrease them.

Thanks. I will try that. The bearings appear to be sealed... Shouldn't be to difficult.

Put all the big bits together this weekend. It's coming together...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406508939.622832.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406508939.622832.jpg

looking great!

For sealed bearings you can get the seals off relatively easily. Rubber seals are easier, just stick a very small flat bladed screwdriver or pick in at the ID edge and gently lever upwards. You might bend it slightly, but they're easy to bend back flat. Metal shields are a bit trickier, essentially the same process, but you're more likely to bend the shield. Again, you can bend them back easily enough, though they won't look as pretty as before. If you can take both shields off, you can easily soak them in degreaser, flush them out with WD40 and dry them out with compressed air. Then repack 1/3 to 1/2 full with some decent high temp grease and they'll probably out last you.

Note, for the lower bearing depending on how much of a pain it is to remove, it may be worth cleaning and regreasing in situ rather than risk damaging the races by removing it.

Back