Copper for a bushing

Well, most snowblowers run a steel auger flighting tube on a steel shaft. Some have grease fittings, some do not. When they rust together it's a real struggle to free them up. I think if you install grease fittings and keep the annular space pumped fill of grease there will be no problem.

If I went with the copper pipe bushing, would that small soft gap make the shear pins wipe over as they broke?

Greg

250 rpm and bed of grease via centered fitting would probably work ok. Like you mentioned, you'll know when the shear pin goes.

Paco

Just at the design stage right now Pierre so OD can be anything. Acklands was my go to store in Alberta, they had outlets everywhere. The closest one now is an hour and a half away. To be honest never think of checking there anymore. Princess Auto only have them to inch.
Its certainly not a high load or speed application Paco and if I add a grease fitting I think it would be fine.
Im thinking copper pipe to cut costs Denny, stainless would be nice but Im sure I'll complain at the cost of 1 1/4 cold roll.
Thanks

Greg

Since there will be no rotation between the two shafts, unless the shear pin breaks (which hopefully is never). Then I do not see any issue with using copper. I agree, that one would want to stay away from steel on steel.

How about aluminum or possibly babbit material? I would use a grease zerk or similar no matter what material you choose to use.

Hi Greg,
I have a piece of brass round bar here that is 10.5" long x 2" o/d....would a chunk of that be of any use to you? Not as good as bronze I know, but should wear better than copper I would think.

Let me know & I can run it up to you if it'll work.

If 2" o/d is too small, Cardon's outside of Perth had some 2.5" o/d x 12" long brass when I was there last week.

Last edited:
Check out post @12 For effective shearing action I would think the flight tube and shaft should be a close fit. My old Airens has grease zerks on the flight tube and I think it recommends removing the pin periodically and making sure the auger can rotate.

David

Back