Copycat Mill Build.

I think the black wire was enable and you probably don't have the pins for enable turned on and assigned the correct port and pin in the "ports and pins"
"output signals" screen.
that would explain no motion with wire on and motion with wire off.
the always the same direction seems like a tuning problem.
I would remove the motors from the mill for x and y until you have them running right, it is easier to watch them without running to the end of travel.
I'll try to get out to my shed later
Steve

I sent you a private message with my phone number
Steve

Called Steve the other night and got the x and y working but had a wiring issue with the z, I rewired the whole axis and could not get it to work. I was wiggling wires to see if maybe there was a short somewhere, that's when the driver for the z caught fire on the wiring to the motor. I pulled it off as fast as I could. I've sort of been suspecting that connector. Not sure if I blew out the driver or not, no black smoke or anything burning, just a melted wire. Checked the motor and it still works, took the driver apart and nothing burnt.

Lanham

I think I'm gonna rip the entire z axis out of the electronics enclosure and start from scratch

It sounds like you got lucky that the motor is not damaged. Hopefully the drive is good as well.

Forget my video about the printer port, multi meter is broke, can't get consistent readings. Hooked up a second computer with Mach 3 and the z axis still only turns one way

Lanham

Z's direction pin is supposed to be 7 not 8 if you set up mach3 the same as mine
check pin 7 to see if you get voltage one way and not the other when you jog Z
Seve

Back