Cord Clamps for my Huanyang VFD.

All good points.
This is on my Bridgeport 815 surface grinder so the load requirement is very small. It is about 3 amps even when grinding.
If I were to do it over again, I probably would not go the Huanyang route, but rather, something a little more mainstream like the Teco. There really is nothing wrong with the Huanyang other than the terminal size. For my application, it works fine because the main requirement was to convert single phase to 3 phase, and for that the VFD works well.

That 3-D printed strain relief looks very clean and professional.
Would you share the design? (here or thingiverse)

-brino

Last edited:
Yep, I can do that. It will be this evening since I am not at home at the moment.

All good points.
This is on my Bridgeport 815 surface grinder so the load requirement is very small. It is about 3 amps even when grinding.
If I were to do it over again, I probably would not go the Huanyang route, but rather, something a little more mainstream like the Teco. There really is nothing wrong with the Huanyang other than the terminal size. For my application, it works fine because the main requirement was to convert single phase to 3 phase, and for that the VFD works well.

I think you will be fine with your Huanyang VFD. The reason the terminals are smaller is because smaller wiring is generally required with a VFD. A motor will pull VERY high starting amps when plugged directly into a 3ph supply. The soft start on the VFD spreads this load over a much longer period of time greatly reducing the starting current. With that said I always wire all my projects with heavier gauge wire than is needed.

You can get rid of the white (neutral) line in your supply cable altogether. (Green is ground, white is neutral... they both might end up at the same place electrically but they are NOT the same thing) There is no use for it in your setup... unless you want to put a 120v component in your control cabinet... something like a 120v fan. ...I was looking at the 3 phase cable instead of the single phase cable... my bad!

Last edited:
I think you will be fine with your Huanyang VFD. The reason the terminals are smaller is because smaller wiring is generally required with a VFD. A motor will pull VERY high starting amps when plugged directly into a 3ph supply. The soft start on the VFD spreads this load over a much longer period of time greatly reducing the starting current. With that said I always wire all my projects with heavier gauge wire than is needed.

You can get rid of the white (neutral) line in your supply cable altogether. (Green is ground, white is neutral... they both might end up at the same place electrically but they are NOT the same thing) There is no use for it in your setup... unless you want to put a 120v component in your control cabinet... something like a 120v fan.
He has a 220 line, the white is the other hot leg of the 220.

That 3-D printed strain relief looks very clean and professional.
Would you share the design? (here or thingiverse)

-brino
Brino... I uploaded the Solidworks file in my first post. Keep in mind that my Solidworks is a Student edition so it has a watermark on the drawing if you decide to print drawings out.
I will upload it to Thingverse too and provide the link.

Back