Cordwood saw

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My father had an old pto driven buzz saw that we used when I was a kid. After he passed in 1999 I hauled it home to my place and parked it in a fence row. Got to thinking it might save me some labour cutting small diameter stove wood for my boiler. I hauled it out and am in the process of rebuilding it. It had a 4” tree growing thru the middle of it. Lol
I decided first off it needs a good sharpening. I scribed lines across the diameter to give me the proper angle of each tooth and then scribed another witness march at 43degrees from that mark for the relief and gullets. I hung a cable from the ceiling in the shop suspended the blade at the centre height of my wheel on the surface grinder and used a radius grinding wheel to grind the gullets free hand to my witness marks.
I ground the rake angle with a angle grinder and the cutting edge I filed by hand.
I had to remove the guard to have clearance for the gullets. A bit sketchy but I took it slow and steady.
I will post a picture of the finished sharpen tomorrow
Cheers
Martin

FAFC9ABF-A335-480A-A791-230100E7E2A6.jpeg

Attachments

• E5769406-774C-4D16-A48B-686CF089E198.jpeg
    E5769406-774C-4D16-A48B-686CF089E198.jpeg
    667.9 KB · Views: 28
  • E1194F4C-F599-4A76-A73B-A987F0CD9DB4.jpeg
    E1194F4C-F599-4A76-A73B-A987F0CD9DB4.jpeg
    468.8 KB · Views: 28
Nice, I'm watching!
-brino

What was the original purpose of the blade? Why does so much material need to be removed, and angles changed so much?
Very ingenious method of marking it all off, I must agree!

The blade geometry is so far off from being sharpened so many times. I am basically starting from scratch. There are many YouTube videos for this. I can not take credit for any of it. Just trying to have a sharp saw.
Cheers
Martin

When blades are sharpened by hand with a file, geometry gets neglected; I have one from an uncle that had nearly 45 deg negative rake angle on the face of the teeth; I know wherever you speak! Very much grinding required to get back to its original geometry.

I put in many years sharpening bandsaws at a saw mill.
A saw works best when the gullets are big enough to remove the chips created by the tooth.
Never did any of this, the machines I ran ground the full profile every pass.
Nice layout on that saw, thanks for posting.

Back