Correct way to hold end mill?

Rcdizy

Registered
Registered
I assume collets are the right way to hold end mills and not the chuck.

Would a metric collet set be ok?

Or must it be inch size?

would like to locate in Canada

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fo...ic=2&LH_SubLocation=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200

Also, what is the cheapest possible DRO option for this little machine?

42271425735_9f67a08dba_b.jpg

Is the proper way to hold an end mill to use a collet?

Is it ok it the collet set is metric, to hold inch size tool shanks?

What is the cheapest DRO option for a little machine like this?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fosrp=1&_from=R40&_sofindtype=0&_nkw=MT3+collet&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_fsradio2=&LH_LocatedIn=1&_salic=2&LH_SubLocation=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200

I would prefer to locate what I need out of Canada if possible.

Any suggestions?

42271425735_9f67a08dba_b.jpg

The collet doesn't know what you're putting in there. So if you use an inch tool in a metric collet it's not going to freak out. The trick is to ensure that tool is within the clamping range of the collet you are using. It's pretty easy in ER style collets, as they have a wide range. A little harder in R8 as they have a small range, then you add measurement system differences.

In fact, with ER collets, I've read it's actually a little nicer to get metric as they are usually 1mm range with 1mm spacing, no gaps.

"In fact, with ER collets, I've read it's actually a little nicer to get metric as they are usually 1mm range with 1mm spacing, no gaps."
Good to know
Mark

Cheap, DRO and sourced in Canada are a difficult combination.

A Canadian source of DRO's is Shooting Star Technologies. I have their original CBX on my mill. Bare bones functionality but it works. The cost has gone up a lot, likely more than your mill.

Star technology

An HM thread on adding DRO's to a mini mill similar to your machine. One of a number of threads.

HM thread on adding DRO to mini-mill

Another example.

Another HM thread on adding DRO to mill

I think the right answer is an endmill holder, but good collets work too. I use an ER32 collet chuck for my endmills.

The concern is having too much run out with a drill chuck / cheap collets which will damage your endmills.

I don't know your machine, but it looks like one of the common Sieg built mini mills sold by many vendors. You might look at Little Machine Shop for the DRO, they offer packages for many of these small mills.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_category.php?category=-1536942993

Yes the proper way to hold an end mill is with a collet. You could use end mill holders that have a set screw that clamps on the weldon shank but on your machine it will take up a lot of your Z travel. Is your machine made for R8 collets or MT2 ? I would use metric collets for metric tooling and inch collets for inch tooling. You could use ER collets but then you would need an ER to R8 or ER to MT2 adapter which takes up Z travel again.
R8 collets do not work well unless the tooling is within a few thousandths of the intended size.

The best DRO system are the iGaging DRO’S. You can use them as is or get a Blu-Dro and tablet and have almost a full functioning DRO display and functions.

Yes the proper way to hold an end mill is with a collet. You could use end mill holders that have a set screw that clamps on the weldon shank but on your machine it will take up a lot of your Z travel. Is your machine made for R8 collets or MT2 ? I would use metric collets for metric tooling and inch collets for inch tooling. You could use ER collets but then you would need an ER to R8 or ER to MT2 adapter which takes up Z travel again.
R8 collets do not work well unless the tooling is within a few thousandths of the intended size.

The best DRO system are the iGaging DRO’S. You can use them as is or get a Blu-Dro and tablet and have almost a full functioning DRO display and functions.
MT3 I believe

Back