Correct way to repair a spirit level

I stopped using plaster of Paris years ago and now use white Silicone calk. so much easier and less mess.
I followed your advice and loved! Plaster is “supposed” to wash out with water but I haven’t been lucky on doing it and instead had to scrape the heel out of it. I’m still figuring out a way to calibrate it and then adjust the bubble to start in the middle when level but it’s a work in progress. Thank you for your tip!

I just eye ball it in the center. Perfect in the middle is not needed. I also use a piece of paper or a index card under the bubble so the white paper reflects the light. I cut the paper ends narrow on the end <=====> like that and squirt in the white Silicone in both ends of the tube, then use my thumb on the bubble to move it to and froe to make sure the vial is attached to the tube and vial.

PS: I scrape the plaster out with a drill bit that is a little under the side of the inside of the tube. Hold the drill by hand. I've also used a steak knife to scrape it out.

One it is dry and you put it back in the level castings, on a Starrett level one side is adjustable, So set the level on a level plane and flip it end for end and watch the bubble. and only adjust on one end of the flip. You adjust the bubble 1/2 the distance of the error. Then flip again, see where the bubble is, flip it back and adjust until your with 1 graduation or less. Be sure to wear cotton gloves when holding the level so the heat of your hand doesn't the bubble or casting.

If you don't have a level surface set the level on a flat surface like a granite plate, start to rotate the level in a circle until the bubble finds a flat plain and then lay a steel scale of a heavy flat bar stock and flip the level end for end and set the vial. Watch Tom Lipton from Ox tool how to do it.
about minute 7.

PS: Tom took one of my Vacaville, CA classes.

Back